X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kadoles
    Apprentice
    • Feb 2008

New to IronBand

because of the latest comp., i decided to give iron a try. I had a few dungeon questions...

What is the point of the different terrain in the dungeons?
    can you search certain areas and find items or treasure?
    does any of it hurt you?
    you can dig thru certain walls, cat you cut thru trees?

also the different walls...
    do the green elven carved walls do anything?
    are the tapestries very helpful?
    are there "bad" walls?

stats:
    how important is luck?

how does pseudo id work?
    i put on a magical item and it was cursed, if i carry magical items longer, will they id as cursed?

Should i dive or spend the time clearing out dungeon levels?

thanks
    Current Char
  • Narvius
    Knight
    • Dec 2007

Pseudo-ID marks all unidentified items as {good}, {worthless}, {average} and so on after a certain time.
    If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• Kadoles
      Apprentice
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Narvius
      Pseudo-ID marks all unidentified items as {good}, {worthless}, {average} and so on after a certain time.
      right but what about something that pseudo's as magical? will it then pseudo as cursed if its a cursed item?
      Current Char

Comment

• Mangojuice
        Z+Angband Maintainer
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Kadoles
        right but what about something that pseudo's as magical? will it then pseudo as cursed if its a cursed item?
        According to the Ironband documentation, the game doesn't make distinctions in pseudo-id between "good" and "cursed" items; they all get called "magic". I think it's similar with good and bad artifacts, and good and bad ego items.

As for whether to dive or clear levels, it's up to you. You don't want to run out of food or light... and you only get your SP back when you leave the level. But then, it does get dangerous down there and you'll never be able to come back up!
        -----------------------------------------
        Z+Angband: A Zangband evolution
        http://tinyurl.com/5pq2bd

Comment

• Antoine
          Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Mangojuice
          According to the Ironband documentation, the game doesn't make distinctions in pseudo-id between "good" and "cursed" items; they all get called "magic". I think it's similar with good and bad artifacts, and good and bad ego items.
          Thats right. Cursed items pseudo as 'magic', so if you test them you may need to remove curse. A few terrible items pseudo as 'splendid' (which needs *RCurse* and all arts pseudo as 'special'.

Originally posted by Mangojuice
          As for whether to dive or clear levels, it's up to you. You don't want to run out of food or light... and you only get your SP back when you leave the level. But then, it does get dangerous down there and you'll never be able to come back up.
          Thats right.

It tends to be that you can dive several levels once you reach the mid game and get good kit. Possibly you can dive at other times as well.

A.
          Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• Antoine
            Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Kadoles
            because of the latest comp., i decided to give iron a try. I had a few dungeon questions...

What is the point of the different terrain in the dungeons?
            can you search certain areas and find items or treasure?
            does any of it hurt you?
            you can dig thru certain walls, cat you cut thru trees?

also the different walls...
            do the green elven carved walls do anything?
            are the tapestries very helpful?
            are there "bad" walls?

stats:
            how important is luck?

thanks
            The terrain is actually from Ironband's precursor, NPP. Some of it can hide monsters, some of it can block sight or movement, some of it can hurt you quite badly if you step on it. I believe most or all of it can be tunnelled through but haven't tried. The rock ; can hide treasure. Green elven walls produce light, which can sometimes be helpful.

I think Luck is equally as important as the other stats.

A.
            Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• Kadoles
              Apprentice
              • Feb 2008

thanks. I appreciate all the feedback.
              Current Char

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

The terrain is critical for combat. If you are fighting in "deep sand", you will have a hard time hitting anything, and your enemies will pound on you. (And if you quaff !sleep without FA you will drown in it.) You also move more slowly, and make a lot more noise. (You cannot run away from Black Puddings in a room full of oil. They will catch you.)

Basically, you want to melee or shoot in terrain where you are "native" and your enemies aren't. (I often try to fight on the first "open floor" in a hallway, and let the non-native monster stand in mud or water.)

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎