What variant is recommended for a not overly long winning time?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LyzbietCorwi
    Rookie
    • Nov 2017

What variant is recommended for a not overly long winning time?

So, just to clarify, what I'm asking over here is not what variant is easier or such, but which one, in a winning run, offers a smaller amount of time.

For instance, Angband with it's 100 levels takes about 30 or so hours, I reckon. Even though I like the gameplay it offers a lot, I always get a bit tired when I'm about DLVL 30 or so, and end up losing interest in the run.

So, something that would offer a winning run of 10 hours max would be great for me. Is there any (preferably more than one ) variant that offers this kind of experience?
  • Gwarl
    Administrator
    • Jan 2017

Sil and Quickband

Comment

• LyzbietCorwi
      Rookie
      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Gwarl
      Sil and Quickband
      Thanks for the recommendations! Do you know if any of them offers some kind of dungeon branches?

Comment

• Gwarl
        Administrator
        • Jan 2017

Neither. Adding extra dungeons is for variants which are longer than V, not variants which are shorter.

It may not be kosher to say so but I think the game you want might be DCSS

Comment

• Patashu
          Knight
          • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Gwarl
          Neither. Adding extra dungeons is for variants which are longer than V, not variants which are shorter.

It may not be kosher to say so but I think the game you want might be DCSS
          Yup, especially since even a durdly player like me only needs 8 hours to beat DCSS (about the same amount of time I take to beat Quickband, lol)
          My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

Heckz, even V doesn't take all that long.

Comment

• debo
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

Poscheng and its predecessors are generally longish games, but picking Berserker makes them much, much shorter. Android Berserker is especially cute in this regard.
              Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• nikheizen
                Adept
                • Jul 2015

Originally posted by LyzbietCorwi
                Angband with it's 100 levels takes about 30 or so hours, I reckon.
                I think maybe you should just play faster....

Comment

• Djabanete
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

I know you didn't ask for something easier, but in line with what debo was saying, if you play an Android Berserker on Munchkin mode in one of the Hengband variants, a 4-hour victory can be quite satisfying :-)

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by nikheizen
                    I think maybe you should just play faster....
                    Yeah, it's possible to win V in well under 24 hours. (I've never timed it, so I can't be more precise.)

Comment

• LyzbietCorwi
                      Rookie
                      • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                      Yeah, it's possible to win V in well under 24 hours. (I've never timed it, so I can't be more precise.)

Oh, I forgot to say that I'm not that much experienced at Angband, so everytime I get a really good run going, I start to measure every single step I do...hence why I think it takes so long for me.

Comment

• LyzbietCorwi
                        Rookie
                        • Nov 2017

Originally posted by Djabanete
                        I know you didn't ask for something easier, but in line with what debo was saying, if you play an Android Berserker on Munchkin mode in one of the Hengband variants, a 4-hour victory can be quite satisfying :-)

I'll try that! I take that an Android Berserker is a pure melee character?

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                          Swordsman
                          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by LyzbietCorwi
                          I'll try that! I take that an Android Berserker is a pure melee character?
                          Total inability to use Scrolls, Rods, Staves, Wands, or item activations. About as pure melee as it comes. Even Bows are weak.

Comment

• Derakon
                            Prophet
                            • Dec 2009

And as an android, they level up by equipping better gear, which means they don't even need experience and can start the game off extremely strong just by buying/finding some heavy armor.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                              Swordsman
                              • Feb 2009

Did one and at L1 I ran the Thief Hideout, the reward was a Long Sword of Force, bam!, took me to L8 in the first minute of play.
                              By the time I was done with the Wargs and Smeagol it was L15 and dual-wielding for ~340 damage a round.
                              LOL

p.s. It seems to have Easy_ID built in, and from my finds so far I wonder if it doesn't have Luck as well. Fang's collar, a Phial, 2x Excellent bits of armor, and the Long Sword from hell by 500'???

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎