X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KingLemn
    Rookie
    • Oct 2017

Unangband Inventory Troubles

So, Unangband has a standard 23 inventory slots.

However, it seems some very poor decisions have been made regarding inventory management for magic and hybrid classes

Every book read permanently snags an additional inventory slot. Beyond that, the book itself must also be carried, meaning every book takes up two full slots.

This is highly inconveniencing for both early game loot sifting and late game inv loadouts. But, I've noticed something after looking at the character ladder. Many of the top characters are mages, yet they appear to have found a workaround for the inventory sapping, and carry a multitude of spellbooks along with a normal amount of additional equipment.

Is this a feature of earlier version of Unangband? Or have they found some sort of exploit in the code or within the game itself?

Unangband was the first roguelike that hooked me into the ascii side of things, being content rich as it is. Unfortunately I'm extremely picky, so this inventory feature is keeping me from pouring hours into this game.

Any idea how this can be worked around?
  • DGoldDragon28
    Rookie
    • Nov 2013

Every book read permanently snags an additional inventory slot. Beyond that, the book itself must also be carried, meaning every book takes up two full slots.
    With the new release (0.6.6), I reduced the study slots from the number of books read to one third of that number. I did not remove it entirely, because this way provides an incentive for specialization. This may be changed again, depending upon how it works out.

This is highly inconveniencing for both early game loot sifting and late game inv loadouts. But, I've noticed something after looking at the character ladder. Many of the top characters are mages, yet they appear to have found a workaround for the inventory sapping, and carry a multitude of spellbooks along with a normal amount of additional equipment.

Is this a feature of earlier version of Unangband? Or have they found some sort of exploit in the code or within the game itself?
    I don't know. I took over development from Andrew Doull in October 2016. It's possible either way.

I thought Unangband had bags, but they may be buggy
    There are magic bags, and up until recently they were slightly buggy. I fixed the bug that was common with them (it was a segfault from accessing memory that was locally allocated and then went out of scope). I do not know if there are any other bugs regarding the bags.
    -Duncan Lowther, the formerly pseudonymous Gold Dragon,
    Maintainer of Unangband

Comment

• KingLemn
      Rookie
      • Oct 2017

Awesome! Super cool to see you continuing development DGold.

I noticed while reading thru version histories that bags of carrying also take up two inventory slots as of version 0.6.4b, which is also where the spell book system was reworked.

While this is all fair and makes sense in the scope of the game...
      I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find a copy of 0.6.4a?

Anyhow, heavily anticipating further releases, I'm interested in how things will develop under this new direction

EDIT: I've found the graveyard repository for previous versions of Unangband..
      Unangband is a variant of Angband, a rogue-like game, with wilderness travel, a wide variety of dungeons and monsters with great rewards and…

for those who may be interested.
      Last edited by KingLemn; October 30, 2017, 15:32.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎