• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jupiter999
    Scout
    • Nov 2012

PosChengband: My Wishlist

Good day.

I'm not sure if the author / maintainer of PosChengband will ever read this, but it would be cool if the following gets remedied:
    - creature almost always able to path find player, which is not realistic at all.
    - it would be cool if creatures fight with each other; now the hand that strangle something always move together with novice paladin to chase me down! C'mon...
    - it would be cool if I can throw something and maybe make a sound to distract creatures away while player is not in creatures' LOS.
    - it would be cool if I can shoot something across a group of creatures to a target, but that target somehow mistakenly thought that group of creature did it, so...
    - terrain manipulation; but I know this implementation will be huge...

Just a thought.
    Sorry if I said something wrong
  • HugoVirtuoso
    Veteran
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by jupiter999
    Good day.

I'm not sure if the author / maintainer of PosChengband will ever read this, but it would be cool if the following gets remedied:
    - creature almost always able to path find player, which is not realistic at all.
    - it would be cool if creatures fight with each other; now the hand that strangle something always move together with novice paladin to chase me down! C'mon...
    - it would be cool if I can throw something and maybe make a sound to distract creatures away while player is not in creatures' LOS.
    - it would be cool if I can shoot something across a group of creatures to a target, but that target somehow mistakenly thought that group of creature did it, so...
    - terrain manipulation; but I know this implementation will be huge...

Just a thought.
    Sorry if I said something wrong
    I have some things to say:

Monsters already found path to the player -
    I hate to say this, but PosChengband is the most punishing GOD of all variants. That's the truth. Even, Sil and Angband are tame compared to the beast PosChengband has become, imo. The difficulty of PosChengband is already at another level for newcomers. The zaniness of countless features is the hallmark of PosChengband like none other that helped PosChengband become the # 1 variant, again imo.

Only in PosChengband (so far...), you'd see this:

Monsters fight each other-
    Some monsters will fight amongst themselves if their alignments are opposite. For example, high-level Angels will fight high-level Demons.

Throwing something to distract monsters-
    Good one. Chris should consider implementing this as another element to gameplay.

Shoot something across monsters, and a monster thinks it was the monster that did-
    Another nice. Chris should consider this one too.

Terrain manipulation-
    Depends on what you mean.... Giants and trolls are capable of climbing mountain terrain to come after you!!
    My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• jupiter999
      Scout
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
      I have some things to say:

Monsters already found path to the player -
      I hate to say this, but PosChengband is the most punishing GOD of all variants. That's the truth. Even, Sil and Angband are tame compared to the beast PosChengband has become, imo. The difficulty of PosChengband is already at another level for newcomers. The zaniness of countless features is the hallmark of PosChengband like none other that helped PosChengband become the # 1 variant, again imo.

Only in PosChengband (so far...), you'd see this:
      http://angband.oook.cz/screen-show.php?id=2554
      Since I'm playing Possessor right now, I found this kind of situation (I think I encountered this issue before back in the days of PernAngband... Can't remember...): due to my inept skills, I was forced to ran away into walls, leaving my corpse behind; now those creatures still keep touching the walls nearest to my location, wherever I go, which was funny; that's why I'm hoping the path find could be enriched a bit; maybe some false deduction AI that makes creatures think where should I appears, or make some educated guess to find path somewhere else

Monsters fight each other-
      Some monsters will fight amongst themselves if their alignments are opposite. For example, high-level Angels will fight high-level Demons.
      Among those creatures, zombified creatures walk together with living creatures while chasing me down, that's why I wish this part also can be enriched a bit; I know opposite alignment fight each other, because I did modify an ancient version of Zangband 2.4 to make my variant aeons ago, and so learned about that fact; but as I said, in my example, the undead hand never attack novice paladin at all; I mean many of these creatures are not further handled properly...

Terrain manipulation-
      Depends on what you mean.... Giants and trolls are capable of climbing mountain terrain to come after you!!
      - Maybe blast a pool of lava cause it overflows a few tiles and burn something along the way...
      - Maybe forest fire (but the problem is how to regrow them )...
      - Freeze water tiles, so that you no longer swim but walk over (I think this is an old suggestion found in many forums)...

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
        Swordsman
        • Feb 2009

Among those creatures, zombified creatures walk together with living creatures while chasing me down, that's why I wish this part also can be enriched a bit; I know opposite alignment fight each other, because I did modify an ancient version of Zangband 2.4 to make my variant aeons ago, and so learned about that fact; but as I said, in my example, the undead hand never attack novice paladin at all; I mean many of these creatures are not further handled properly....
        That would be interesting in some ways, but also would lead to many problems. An Aggravating Characters might find levels essentially empty. Vaults Cleared before you could open the door, etc...

- Maybe blast a pool of lava cause it overflows a few tiles and burn something along the way...
        - Maybe forest fire (but the problem is how to regrow them )...
        - Freeze water tiles, so that you no longer swim but walk over (I think this is an old suggestion found in many forums)...
        The only roguelike I have played that makes a huge point of environmental damage and immunities was NPP, maybe that code could be looked into. A Balrog finds walking through magma to be a refreshing stroll.

Comment

• jupiter999
          Scout
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
          That would be interesting in some ways, but also would lead to many problems. An Aggravating Characters might find levels essentially empty. Vaults Cleared before you could open the door, etc...
          I wonder what happen if a small squad of creatures trying to retreat from certain threat, while you the player also doing the same from your own threat, and both parties met at the corridor, or somewhere in the middle of wilderness... It would be funny if both parties strike an unlikely alliance to work together and survive
          But yea, you've got a point there...

Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
          The only roguelike I have played that makes a huge point of environmental damage and immunities was NPP, maybe that code could be looked into. A Balrog finds walking through magma to be a refreshing stroll.
          Ok thanks for the info~

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
            Swordsman
            • Feb 2009

A couple things I wish for...

-Breeders shouldn't breed as they die. (Killed the last worm mass in a room, and two appeared where it had been)
            -Freshly Summoned Summoners shouldn't be able to Summon instantly.

BTW, the old Mimic side quest has become worlds more dangerous as many of the mimics summon now...

Comment

• Fnord
              Apprentice
              • May 2014

Well, while we're wishing:

If I have ~@ self knowledge, adding that to char dump would seem like a nice thing.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                Swordsman
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Mocht
                They could summon before
                I think they summoned Grendel and his buddies on me in a previous version
                It just must have been less common or something. 2x Packs of Airhounds and 1x Trolls all at once. Drew them away behind the wall to slaughter them.
                The Chest/Potion mimics were summoning what seemed like every time I got in sight. Step out, Snipe a shot, back away to fight the packs, repeat...

I have done the Mimic quest many times before and never recall having any significant number of additional mobs before. Hmm.

Comment

• Bostock
                  Swordsman
                  • Aug 2007

My overarching wish: massive QoL imports from current Vanilla.

Examples -
                  * Vanilla-like display of the max number of items in a shop stack that you can buy with your current cash.

* hjkl navigation in the options list

Also, specific to Pos, I would love to have the option (off by default as I am sure I am a minority here) to be prompted before taking actions while scared.
                  So you ride yourselves over the fields and you make all your animal deals and your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

Comment

• Bostock
                    Swordsman
                    • Aug 2007

Errm, I mean arrow-key navigation. HJKL already works.

Although, lettered options with letter-key jumping to specific options would also be nice.
                    So you ride yourselves over the fields and you make all your animal deals and your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎