X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fnord
    Apprentice
    • May 2014

PosChengband: Stances

Some classes (the Samurai I currently play, Monks and probably others) offer some stances.

However, there's absolutely no indication what they do. For Monks, I remember checking the sources and at least getting some idea, but for Samurai now it just seems too spread out to find.

So: What do the various stances do, exactly?
  • GenericPseudonym
    Apprentice
    • Jan 2016

I looked through the source and made some notes for myself the last time I played Samurai. I'll copy-paste them for you here.

Samurai postures:
    All postures are canceled by using kendo or by resting. While a posture is active, regeneration is halved, hunger is increased, and it is impossible to use Concentration to gain sp.

Iai (level 25)
    Makes one blow with bonus accuracy against the first enemy that attacks you. This triggers before the monster's damage, so if you can kill it in one shot you'll cancel its attack. The stance ends if it triggers or if the player attacks anything. Also, you take 80% more damage from all sources while the stance is active.
    Huujin (level 30)
    Gives reflection as long as you are not blind, but also -1.00 blows.
    Kouki (level 35)
    Gives -50ac, vulnerability to AcElFiCo, and prevents HP regeneration, but also gives +5 all stats and a hidden accuracy bonus equivalent to +50 to-hit.
    Musou (level 40)
    Costs 2sp per turn and canceled by most actions including moving and attacking
    Halves all incoming damage
    Gives retaliation but costs 7sp per attack, as with the Counter spell in kendo book 1. These attacks do not cancel the stance.
    Gives ESP all, even vs things not detected by telepathy
    Gives all the bonuses of Ultimate Resistance: +100 AC, all resistances, double resist to AcElFiCoPo, sustain all stats, FaSiSdRgLvLuRfHL, aura of fire/cold/elec.

Of these, it feels like only Huujin and Musou stances are really useful. Musou in particular is great against high-level melee attackers like the Destroyer thanks to its combination of huge bonus AC, halved damage, and retaliation against melee attacks. You only do damage when the monster melees YOU though, so it's less useful against things with higher spellcasting rates.
    There's a funny screenshot somewhere around of me using Musou stance against Kenshirou and getting into an infinite retaliation loop until he died.

Comment

• GenericPseudonym
      Apprentice
      • Jan 2016

Oh, I found that screenshot. Here you go:

Comment

• Fnord
        Apprentice
        • May 2014

Great info, thanks.

Comment

• Fnord
          Apprentice
          • May 2014

Just for reference, a list for Monks (and others) would be useful, too!

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
            Swordsman
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Fnord
            I haven't played a Monk since Hengband, but from what I recall from back then all the Stances were pretty much useless. Get a small situational bonus for a huge penalty. No idea what they are like today.

Comment

• wobbly
              Prophet
              • May 2012

You can see most by looking at the Character screen (@). look for damage, resists, reflect & your AC.

White tiger? (a while since I've played) is higher damage for -AC or something
              Turtle something? is reflection for reduced melee, pretty useless unless you are device monking, or casting which you are bad at.

Anyway you can spot a lot by looking at the character sheet & looking for what changed.

Comment

• GenericPseudonym
                Apprentice
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Fnord
                I don't remember exactly what they are, and it's been a while since I played a monk, but I have a general idea:
                Black Tortoise: Increases AC. Maybe reflection too?
                White Tiger: Damage increase but a penalty to AC, and maybe vulnerability to the four base elements as well.
                Red Phoenix: +10 speed.
                Blue Dragon: Resistance to AcElFiCo.

I think all but white tiger also reduce your unarmed/martial arts damage, and either phoenix or dragon has -2.00 blows.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎