X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CyclopsSlayer
    Swordsman
    • Feb 2009

PosChengBand - Skill Proficiencies

Proficiencies, I haven't seen a place in the Help that documents them.
    What I have observed is as follows;

Melee
    - Unskilled -20 to hit that fades with practice to...
    - Beginner +/- 0 to hit

Spell
    - Unskilled is base mana cost that drops with practice to...
    - Beginner is -20% mana cost but no other observed effects
    - Skilled has no observed effect, at least in the first spell book so far, not yet got the most expensive spell to Skilled.

Are these documented someplace? Searching here and general google finds mentions of them, but no details.

Secondly,
    Class skills, Ninja, Rogue, others?, don't seem to share the Skill system, so don't benefit from mana reduction, or improved to-Hit?

EDIT:
    As well, there seems to be something going on with skills and non-Weapon proficiencies. Playing a Ninja and Dual-wielding daggers, and have a shortbow. Down to Stronghold L6, CLvl 8; The Daggers haven't advanced from their Beginner status, as well I have never seen any notice of Dual-wield skill increasing, Skill has been at 45.9% for a while..
    Last edited by CyclopsSlayer; June 30, 2017, 18:12.
  • GenericPseudonym
    Apprentice
    • Jan 2016

Spell skills reduce the failure rate as well. -1% at Expert and -2% at Master. This is probably most noticeable for classes like Monk or Paladin who have a 5% minimum fail rate, since proficiency can actually reduce it down to 3%.

As for weapon and dual-wield proficiency: There are limits to how high you can train it based on the dungeon level and the level of the monsters you're hitting, (and I think dual-wielding might look at character level instead? not sure...) so you can't just chop at worm masses for hours to become the world's greatest swordmaster. If you just progress down to deeper levels and kill stronger enemies, your skills will eventually rise again.

Also, different classes have different max skill levels for the various weapon types. Only a few classes can reach Master in dual-wielding, for example, and the Sorcerer is stuck at permanently Unskilled for everything except wizardstaves. As far as I know there's no way to actually learn what the maximums are other than playing the game or reading the edit files.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
      Swordsman
      • Feb 2009

Originally posted by GenericPseudonym
      Spell skills reduce the failure rate as well. -1% at Expert and -2% at Master. This is probably most noticeable for classes like Monk or Paladin who have a 5% minimum fail rate, since proficiency can actually reduce it down to 3%.

As for weapon and dual-wield proficiency: There are limits to how high you can train it based on the dungeon level and the level of the monsters you're hitting, (and I think dual-wielding might look at character level instead? not sure...) so you can't just chop at worm masses for hours to become the world's greatest swordmaster. If you just progress down to deeper levels and kill stronger enemies, your skills will eventually rise again.

Also, different classes have different max skill levels for the various weapon types. Only a few classes can reach Master in dual-wielding, for example, and the Sorcerer is stuck at permanently Unskilled for everything except wizardstaves. As far as I know there's no way to actually learn what the maximums are other than playing the game or reading the edit files.
      Thanks!
      There used to be spoilers in Hengband for all that, but it seems the Heng DL sites are for them are all dead, and I doubt the info would still be current a decade and dozens of patches later. There doesn't seem to be the same spoilers yet for PCB.

I think part of the confusion is the lack of status messages for a lot of skills.
      Frex, my Ninja got to Beginner Shortbow and I never got a progress message. While a Mage got 'you got better' messages all the way to Skilled for his spells.

Comment

• GenericPseudonym
        Apprentice
        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
        Thanks!
        There doesn't seem to be the same spoilers yet for PCB.
        There is a pretty good spoiler site at https://nikheizen.github.io/

There's still stuff it doesn't have though, like the skill limits for various classes or descriptions of the effects of demigod perks.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
          Swordsman
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by GenericPseudonym
          There is a pretty good spoiler site at https://nikheizen.github.io/

There's still stuff it doesn't have though, like the skill limits for various classes or descriptions of the effects of demigod perks.
          Thank You!
          Just gave it a quick look and it looks useful!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎