• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • delstrudo
    Rookie
    • Jan 2015

Poschengband Wisdom vs Resistances

Hello!

Just curious how Wisdom and Resistances work together. I've gathered that Wisdom helps resist spells but not sure how. Any input most appreciated!
  • Regalia
    Apprentice
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by delstrudo
    Hello!

Just curious how Wisdom and Resistances work together. I've gathered that Wisdom helps resist spells but not sure how. Any input most appreciated!
    Wisdom raises the saving throw (not by much unless it's very high, then up to 25).

Saving throw works vs some effects/spells. For example vs paralysis which you really should NOT rely on (get free action asap).

It also works vs cause wound spells, brain smashes, hands of doom (maybe some more).

It can also affect some nasty effects of the ty_curse which is probably why you want high saves the most.

There might be some notable exceptions. For example, if you're a demigod of Hera parentage, you can resist brain smash with a roll against wisdom.

The thing is, you'll typically either get an antimagic amulet which makes save bonuses pretty much pointless or you won't get them high enough to be reliable anyway. Unless maybe when you're a duelist.

Resistances give a separate decrease in damage (and some secondary effects too). There is very little overlap between saves and resistances (maybe none?).

Comment

• delstrudo
      Rookie
      • Jan 2015

Thank you for the info Regalia!!

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

Note that if your saving throw reaches 100%, you become immune to all these effects including paralysis, and can lose free action. I've only done that a handful of times, as so often your best equipment includes FA anyway--e.g. via artifact gloves.

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Pete Mack
          Note that if your saving throw reaches 100%, you become immune to all these effects including paralysis, and can lose free action. I've only done that a handful of times, as so often your best equipment includes FA anyway--e.g. via artifact gloves.
          This may be true in Vanilla, but I wouldn't count on it in PosChengband; the two have radically different rules.

It also wouldn't surprise me in the least if PosChengband inherits from ZAngband the potential TY_CURSE effect of "summon Cyberdemons plus paralyze the player even if they have Free Action". There I believe the player does get a saving throw against the paralysis, so a 100% saving throw would save them (only for them to probably be bombarded by rockets the next turn).

Comment

• wobbly
            Prophet
            • May 2012

Yeah it's got that, or at least it's there for being blood-cursed. Hard to know in poschengband when you're at 100% anyway. For example on my priest it says Amber[7]. Pretty sure you get a bigger bonus from your class then the wisdom stat, though could be wrong. I think saves might also help against whirlpool spells? They can be pretty annoying.

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

The class bonus is roughly the same size as the max wisdom bonus. But the points from wisdom have a higher impact, since the difference between--say--90% and 95% is much more noticeable than between 45% and 50%.

Comment

• krazyhades
                Swordsman
                • Jun 2013

There was a change in Poschengband at some point so that the ty_curse loop breaks either naturally, or upon summoning cyberdemons, or upon statue-ing you. So you can no longer actually die to ty_curse summoned cyberdemons while ty_curse paralyzed, though a non-cyberdemon summon into paralysis is still very often Bad.

Comment

• delstrudo
                  Rookie
                  • Jan 2015

Hey figured would toss this in here, how about Anti-Magic? I know it blocks your character from casting spells but how about the positive?

Thanks again in advance!

Comment

• krazyhades
                    Swordsman
                    • Jun 2013

It gives a super huge boost to saving throw and is very helpful if your character does not use 'm'agic.

Comment

• Derakon
                      Prophet
                      • Dec 2009

Assuming it's the same as in ZAngband/ToME, it gives you a 95% saving throw, which is a lot better than most non-magic-using classes would otherwise be able to get.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2012

The biggest plus of having Anti-Magic is that it prevents the Amberite Blood Curse's statue-paralysis effect !! Without Anti-Magic, that statue-paralysis may happen regardless of whether you have Free Action or not! The statue-paralysis is downright bad because the Blood Curse can summon the worst at one go and you'd be dead before the effect wears off, if at all!
                        My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• GenericPseudonym
                          Apprentice
                          • Jan 2016

Free Action still reduces the "you feel like a statue!" paralysis from 1d13 turns to I think 1d2 (or maybe just 1?).

Antimagic doesn't have any special bonus there, it's just that it's a large bonus to saving throw and blood-curse effects allow a save to resist.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                            Veteran
                            • Jan 2012

I wouldn't say it reduces the statue-paralysis to only just 1-2 turns. Definitely at least more turns than that. I lost a 900HP full health Baphomet possessing Possessor character a few years ago due to a status-paralysis. I had Free Action on board, yes. But, I didn't have Anti-Magic.
                            My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                              I wouldn't say it reduces the statue-paralysis to only just 1-2 turns. Definitely at least more turns than that. I lost a 900HP full health Baphomet possessing Possessor character a few years ago due to a status-paralysis. I had Free Action on board, yes. But, I didn't have Anti-Magic.
                              If you're at the point where you're fighting Amberites, there are nasty enough monsters around that your character can probably be killed in 2 turns. Just saying.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎