• Show
Clear All
  • konijn_
    Hellband maintainer
    • Jul 2007

Need help compiling Hellband

Greetings & Salutations,

long time no see

Since it's NaNoWriMo, I wanted to write a LitRPG story ( don't Google this if you value the little spare time you have left with *band ) and I want to follow my character in game (uses stats etc. )

For this, I need Wizard mode, and in my infinite wisdom, I made that a compile option. I now have a new machine (Windows, no more Macs for me), and for the life of me cannot compile.

I tried makefile.org, makefile.sid, makefile.dos, it seems broken all over the place. If anyone could create a makefile that works on Win 10 with Cygwin or any other free compiler, I would be tremendously grateful.

I will also then be able to fix/test some of the bugs that I have been finding in Hellband.

Hellband latest source can be found here:
    * Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.8 is out! *
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

Makefile.win for angband is very flexible, though you will need to be careful with the .rc and .res file names. You will need a new makefile.src file.
    For a mingw build use:

MINGW=yes make -f Makefile.win

Comment

• konijn_
      Hellband maintainer
      • Jul 2007

Thanks, checking that out now.

Originally posted by Pete Mack
      Makefile.win for angband is very flexible, though you will need to be careful with the .rc and .res file names. You will need a new makefile.src file.
      For a mingw build use:

MINGW=yes make -f Makefile.win

Comment

• konijn_
        Hellband maintainer
        • Jul 2007

I never got to build a proper Windows build, which is sad.
        But, it built within 10 minutes on Termux, which is great!!

Comment

• Gwarl
          Administrator
          • Jan 2017

Hi just checked out your blog post.

You could almost play hellband online at one point on angband.live.

But as far as I could tell you broke some directory handling stuff, specifically combining the treatment of the lib folder and the user folder, which would seem to make sense on a single user machine, but ruins the multi-user setup. If I specify user directories on a per-user basis it doesn't look for default .prf files in a common location the way all other *bands do.

I also didn't appreciate your changing the spelling of color to colour in the internal variable names, despite being british myself. It made it more work to apply the colour patch. And they tease me over taking exception to certain British fairies being born in Whales.

But long story short, you don't need to convert the whole thing to JS in order to play it in a browser. You just need to fix the .prf directory handling and the reference to large aquatic mammals and I'll add it to the site.

Comment

• konijn_
            Hellband maintainer
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Gwarl
            Hi just checked out your blog post.

You could almost play hellband online at one point on angband.live.

But as far as I could tell you broke some directory handling stuff, specifically combining the treatment of the lib folder and the user folder, which would seem to make sense on a single user machine, but ruins the multi-user setup. If I specify user directories on a per-user basis it doesn't look for default .prf files in a common location the way all other *bands do.

I also didn't appreciate your changing the spelling of color to colour in the internal variable names, despite being british myself. It made it more work to apply the colour patch. And they tease me over taking exception to certain British fairies being born in Whales.

But long story short, you don't need to convert the whole thing to JS in order to play it in a browser. You just need to fix the .prf directory handling and the reference to large aquatic mammals and I'll add it to the site.

Hmmm, you give me too much credit I have never touched the .prf/lib part of the code. Many maintainers had their hands on Hellband before me.

I have absolutely no idea how to fix that, since it is in a mess of #DEFINE statements that I thought do allow for proper handling of .prf files.

I would love to have Hellband on angband.live, so I will take some time looking in to that.

Comment

• konijn_
              Hellband maintainer
              • Jul 2007

I'm being that guy who responds to himself

So! Hellband now will
              1) Generate an ~/.angband/Hellband087/save folder
              2) Load/save files in there

For user pref files, should those be in
              ~/.angband/Hellband087/
              ~/.angband/Hellband087/save
              ~/.angband/Hellband087/pref

I would vote the last option, but that's not what OangbandU seems to do.

Cheers,
              T.

Originally posted by konijn_
              Hmmm, you give me too much credit I have never touched the .prf/lib part of the code. Many maintainers had their hands on Hellband before me.

I have absolutely no idea how to fix that, since it is in a mess of #DEFINE statements that I thought do allow for proper handling of .prf files.

I would love to have Hellband on angband.live, so I will take some time looking in to that.

Comment

• Gwarl
                Administrator
                • Jan 2017

The idea is that there's a command line option to specify the 'user' folder on starting the game, which is how .live works behind the scenes. By default most *bands will put this in ~/.angband/Hellband087/user. .live works a little differently but I'm familiar with how to solve that having hacked my way through it on more than a dozen other variants.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎