Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carnivean
    Knight
    • Sep 2013

When games were level based, you'd start each level with full health (in most cases). Therefore it seems easiest to assume that each level is a challenge to be solved, and then you move to the next one. This would conceptually work best with ironman rules, so that players wouldn't stairscum for health.

Comment

• debo
      Veteran
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
      LOL, be careful what you wish for, Debo... http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthr...236#post112236
      I briefly thought about how Nick became maintainer before clicking 'post' on my original message, but then I had enough faith in the collective intelligence and strong survival instinct of the angband community to feel confident that they would never make the terrible mistake of nominating me for such a thing.
      Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Antoine
        Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
        • Nov 2007

Rocketband already has this
        Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• debo
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Antoine
          This is an amazing observation.
          Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Antoine
            Look I have good ideas ok

Comment

• EpicMan
              Swordsman
              • Dec 2009

There is an odd roguelike game called "The Slimy Lichmummy". It has medkits that heal you when you walk into them and no cap on your HP levels so there is no reason not to pick them up when you find them. It also has constantly spawning enemies like in Angband but most enemies are not rewarding to fight so there is a tension between racing to get to the downstairs to minimize HP loss and exploring to find the items needed to survive in the deeper depths.

The Diablo-clone Path of Exile has a potion system where you carry 5 potion bottles (health, mana, speed, etc) with multiple charges and you can only regain charges by killing enemies. As you play you find bigger bottles (more charges / effect) or bottles with bonuses like curing stun in addition to their normal effect, but you don't need to grind for lots of potions and if you have to retreat or drink a lot fighting something else it doesn't take forever to refill them.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎