X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nppangband
    NPPAngband Maintainer
    • Dec 2008

NPPAngband and NPPMoria 8.0.5 (Qt Port) released

This is a mostly bugfixes version with some new minor features. Anyone playing the NPP 8.0.X series should upgrade to this version, as there was an issue with the placement of Morgoth and Sauron on their respective levels. The complete changelist is below:

NPPGames 8.0.5
    Features:
    Make permanent walls silver.
    Randomly generated resists/slays/*slays*/brands are now shown in the ego-item name (e.g. a sword of slays now displays as a sword of slay evil and troll).
    The buttons in the object menu are better aligned.
    Add menu command to open or close all extra windows.
    Suppress messages for squelched objects when being destroyed by a projection attack.
    During arena and labyrinth quests, remove the addition of scrolls of Mass Banishment. For spellcasters, add a staff of the magi as a possible item for placement.
    Prevent random artifacts created as a quest reward from causing aggravation.
    Improve the strength of random artifacts from quest rewards.

Bugfixes:
    The screen occasionally didn't refresh during word of recall.
    Typo in pit/next quest description.
    Fix size of overhead map inside the overhead map window.
    Fix bug with targeting while using hotkeys.
    Fix crash bug during player birth creation that happened if the player had certain extra windows open, and the player has closed a previous game without exiting NPPGames before starting new character.
    Fix some grammar issues.
    Fix name of tiles for Morgoth's special artifacts.
    Fix bug with display of self knowledge output.
    Fix bug when choosing from multiple chests to open.
    Fix the display in the self-knowledge window.
    Fix the default selection of Ainu/Servants of the Valar in the banishment dialog screen.
    Monsters in vaults were not holding the vault objects underneath them.
    Fix some issues with character file dumps.

The Source Code, a Windows binary and MAC OS version is available for download here:
    NPP downloads
    Last edited by nppangband; May 13, 2016, 03:16.
    NPPAngband current home page: http://nppangband.bitshepherd.net/
    Source code repository:
    https://github.com/nppangband/NPPAngband_QT
    Downloads:
    https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57
  • jevansau
    Adept
    • Jan 2009

Hi,

The link for downloads takes me to a login page for box. The one in the 8.0.4 thread works correctly.

Thanks for your continuing efforts.

Comment

• nppangband
      NPPAngband Maintainer
      • Dec 2008

I suppose it would have helped if I wasn't logged in when I tested the link.

Its fixed now. Thanks.
      NPPAngband current home page: http://nppangband.bitshepherd.net/
      Source code repository:
      https://github.com/nppangband/NPPAngband_QT
      Downloads:
      https://app.box.com/s/1x7k65ghsmc31usmj329pb8415n1ux57

Comment

• exb
        Rookie
        • Sep 2016

I can't download this from Box. I've tried multiple OSes and browsers, no luck.

Comment

• takkaria
          Veteran
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by exb
          I can't download this from Box. I've tried multiple OSes and browsers, no luck.
          I think it's possible to upload binaries to GitHub for releases now, that might be an option to explore?
          takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• damunzy
            Rookie
            • Mar 2009

Box is Broken

Originally posted by nppangband
            I suppose it would have helped if I wasn't logged in when I tested the link.

Its fixed now. Thanks.
            Box is either broken or out of download juice for YAM (Yet Another Month). :/

Comment

• BookofAeons
              Rookie
              • Jan 2017

Probably a dumb question but how do I adjust the location of the secondary windows in Windows 10? They're all stuck in the upper left corner.

Comment

• eMeM
                Apprentice
                • Oct 2012

Is it possible to disable mouse movement in NPP?

Comment

• caruso
                  Adept
                  • May 2011

Pete's recent NPP 0.4.1 adventure has inspired me to play my first game of Angband and variants in a long time... Well, I've tried NPP 8.0.5. Wow, this was the first time that a DL 2 felt like a real challenge (which I did not survive), despite playing a fighter class! Or is it that NPP High-Elf Rangers are more difficult to play than in Angband and other variants? I think someone once considered Rangers easy... Anyway, this is a variant I'm going to return to. Apart from the challenging very early game, I also like that the game makes calculations for you while you shop, and that the interface is generally beginner-friendly. I hope there will be future versions.

Maybe too late now, but I'd prefer if you return to the old version numbering convention. Increasing the first digit sounds to me like the game has undergone a whole lot of changes, and I don't think that has always been the case between 1.x and 8.x.

Bugs
                  I'm on Windows 10 and using a QWERTZ keyboard.
                  • You can't bash down doors with the default (Simplified) command set. ALT-D will always activate the Display menu instead. Workaround: Change command set or create a hotkey.
                  • While 'l'ooking around, the game will sometimes not recognise Esc anymore. This seems to have been caused by making Shift-F1 a hotkey and then seemingly fixed itself by walking down the stairs. Workaround: Use 'x' instead.
                  • Once so far, the game did not recognise Shift+NumPad anymore. This seemed to have happened during the first shopping tour. Workaround: Save and reload the game.
                  • The window is stuck in the upper left corner of the screen when minimised

Tweaks
                  • Mark unidentified items in shops as "(unseen)"
                  • New (fighter class) characters should be provided a stack of Scrolls of Detect Doors and Stairs {100% off}, to be able to skip the first few levels quickly.
                  • Please add a repeat and a map command, unless I'm missing something
                  • The game should inform you if you try to close a broken door
                  • Walls carved by elvish hands should emit light, possibly rad 2. They are glowing, after all.
                  • Shopkeeper reactions could be more varied
                  Last edited by caruso; March 28, 2021, 13:19.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

Caruso-
                    NPP after v 0.5.4 is crazy. There are just a huge number of difficult monsters--it's completely relentless after DL 50. But 0.5.4 is one of my favorites.

Comment

• caruso
                      Adept
                      • May 2011

Oh. Thanks for the warning

By the way, seeing as both the forum and the contact e-mail address are down, I'm going to pm nppangband, hoping that this will notify Jeff and Diego to the recent interest in NPP.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Caruso--
                        They are well aware of it, and Diego in particular is posting regularly under a different handle (Cuboideb), presumably to separate out Android port posts from NPP.

Comment

• Cuboideb
                          Adept
                          • May 2020

Development of NPP is halted and I lost contact with Jeff several years ago. I added NPP 054 to the android port this week and I'm making some small modifications to the object pickup code to make it more similar to V.
                          I agree with Pete that after 054 the game was harder. I stopped winning the game after that version.
                          Once I'm done I will upload the modified source to github. And a windows executable too.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

Harder I don't mind so much. The trouble was the means of becoming harder: just throwing more monsters in the way. It wasn't harder in an interesting way.

Comment

• caruso
                              Adept
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by Cuboideb
                              Once I'm done I will upload the modified source to github. And a windows executable too.
                              That's good to hear, will keep an eye on it!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎