X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brouhaha
    Scout
    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by chris
    Disenchantment is the great bane of the Death Sword, much like Blindness is the great bane of the Beholder
    Checks and balances, I get it now. I'll just have to expand my detection and escape options, then! Thanks for the speedy and well written response.

Comment

• Arjen
      Adept
      • Dec 2010

I've been thinking about the problem with possessors being able to posses an unique and uniques dropping their corpse with a 100% certainty. The problem is you need {Wanted} corpses, but that makes getting certain unique corpses pretty easy as you always get their corpse.

What if you introduce a new type of item I'll call "Trophies". If you kill a certain {wanted} unique, instead of a 100% corpse drop you could get an 100% trophy drop which could be the "left pinky toe of xxx", "an eyeball of xxx", "a piece of skin of xxx", ect (be creative). This way you can keep the bounty quests for uniques and still reduce the drop rate of corpses.

Comment

• chris
        PosChengband Maintainer
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Arjen
        I've been thinking about the problem with possessors being able to posses an unique and uniques dropping their corpse with a 100% certainty. The problem is you need {Wanted} corpses, but that makes getting certain unique corpses pretty easy as you always get their corpse.

What if you introduce a new type of item I'll call "Trophies". If you kill a certain {wanted} unique, instead of a 100% corpse drop you could get an 100% trophy drop which could be the "left pinky toe of xxx", "an eyeball of xxx", "a piece of skin of xxx", ect (be creative). This way you can keep the bounty quests for uniques and still reduce the drop rate of corpses.
        I'll keep that in mind as a nice flavorful alternative. Are people really going to start scum for wanted unique lists? I don't think I would ever do that

Another easier alternative would be to make wanted drops always be skeletons. I'm making The Possessor only able to possess corpses, so this would really mess them up. But then I guess people would start scum the wanted unique list to make sure what they want is *not* on the list. Ho Hum. Battling scummers is like killing lice ... They breed too fast!

As for possessing uniques being OP, I'm not so sure that will always be the case. In fact, most monsters tend to be pretty narrowly designed, with only a handful of powers (e.g. Combat Echizen can blink, cast invulnerability and launch rockets, but not much else). Cutting The Possessor off from uniques would be cruel, IMO.

BTW, implementing this is taking longer than expected. In the end, I reluctantly dove into extensive mods to r_info.txt. So next release will be 2.0, but I can't say when that will be ...

EDIT: And then I promise to start a new thread!!

Comment

• AnonymousHero
          Veteran
          • Jun 2007

I'll keep that in mind as a nice flavorful alternative. Are people really going to start scum for wanted unique lists? I don't think I would ever do that

(...)
          You think too highly of us compulsive scummers . It's a terrible personality trait, but I have a very hard time not trying to optimize the game even if it ultimately leads to scummy and boring play :/.

As for possessing uniques being OP, I'm not so sure that will always be the case. In fact, most monsters tend to be pretty narrowly designed, with only a handful of powers (e.g. Combat Echizen can blink, cast invulnerability and launch rockets, but not much else). Cutting The Possessor off from uniques would be cruel, IMO.
          I think that this is exactly it -- if uniques aren't hugely more powerful than non-uniques anyway, then allowing them to be possessed isn't a requirement, but might be a nice little bonus. In this case you (as a powergaming player) don't really need a specific unique corpse, so it's not worth your while to (start-or-any-other-)scum for it.

The major issue in ToME 2.x is that a few of the uniques are so ridiculously overpowered compared to posessing "standard" monsters -- one of the corpses has 3 weapon slots vs. 1 slots for all others worth possessing. Other corpses (depending on options) give you 10K versus 1.2K HP without any disadvantages. (Basically some of the formulas are pretty broken.)

Comment

• chris
            PosChengband Maintainer
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
            Other corpses (depending on options) give you 10K versus 1.2K HP without any disadvantages. (Basically some of the formulas are pretty broken.)
            I won't be giving the Possessor the monster's hp. Instead, there might be a line in r_info like
            Code:
            P:Copy:Human:Mage
            that sets initial stat, skill and life rating options. This means the player will end up with HP comparable to a Human Mage in this case (This example is from The Mouth of Sauron who normally has 7000hp).

Multiple weapons are already rather balanced in PosCheng ... At least nobody has won a Marilith yet and the single Xorn winner was only single wielding!

Comment

• clouded
              Swordsman
              • Jun 2012

Are you open to replacing or redoing some quests? To be truthful, quite a lot of them I don't find very fun. The one I really like is the Vault (this is by far the best quest in my opinion), the Cloning Pits, Barrow Downs and the Old Castle are enjoyable too. The reason I think the Vault is the best quest is because it is very randomised; you don't know where Sting is or what the monsters will be, so it is unpredictable and exciting. The Cloning Pits and the Old Castle aren't randomised, but they can still be unpredictable and can unfold in different ways, the Barrows isn't really like this, but it's a good (simple) design and the monsters are decent, I do think it could come before the Vault though, it's easier I think.

A lot of the ones around Danger:15-25 I don't like, the monsters aren't particularly fun and the rewards aren't incentive enough to do them when they might actually be challenging (at this point in the game you gain power very quickly, so it would be hard to actually make them challenging and worth it I suppose).

What do you think of this as a replacement for Doom Quest II? The monster makeup is roughly the same (4 Iron Lichs, 5 Barons, 14 Revenants, 1 Maulotaur, 1 Hell Knight, 4 Arch-viles) but the terrain should be much more interesting and challenging. The original map is too long, half of it you are just fighting imps and lemures, and all of the monsters are segmented behind granite.

Code:
              # Monsters and Terrain

# Randomise the position of the Maulotaur and Hell Knight
              ?:[EQU [MOD $RANDOM34 4] 0]
              # Floor with Maulotaur
              F:h:FLOOR:8:723
              # Floor with Hell Knight
              F:i:FLOOR:8:731
              # Floor with Baron of Hell
              F:j:FLOOR:8:609
              # Floor with Revenant
              F:k:FLOOR:8:555

?:[EQU [MOD $RANDOM34 4] 1]
              F:i:FLOOR:8:723
              F:j:FLOOR:8:731
              F:k:FLOOR:8:609
              F:h:FLOOR:8:555

?:[EQU [MOD $RANDOM34 4] 2]
              F:j:FLOOR:8:723
              F:k:FLOOR:8:731
              F:h:FLOOR:8:609
              F:i:FLOOR:8:555

?:[EQU [MOD $RANDOM34 4] 3]
              F:k:FLOOR:8:723
              F:h:FLOOR:8:731
              F:i:FLOOR:8:609
              F:j:FLOOR:8:555

?:1

# Floor with Arch-Vile
              F:d:FLOOR:8:357

# Floor with Revenant
              F:e:FLOOR:8:555

# Floor with Baron of Hell
              F:f:FLOOR:8:609

# Floor with Iron Lich
              F:g:FLOOR:8:666

# Deep lava
              F:l:DEEP_LAVA:2

# Permawalls
              F:x:PERMANENT:8

# Dungeon layout
              D:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
              D:XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxlxxxlllxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxlxxlxxxlxllxlllllllxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxlxlllxlllxlllllllllllllllxxxxlllxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxlllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxllllllllllllllllllll..lllllllllllllllllxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxxlxxxxllll...lll..lllllll.......llllllll....llllxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxllxxxllll...........lllll..........ll........lllllxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxllllllll............lllll.f....................llllxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxlllllll......e........l.ll............h..........llllxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxllll...................llll....e.................lllllxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxllll...................llll..................e...lllxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxllll......xx.xx........ll...........xx.xx......llllxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxllll.....xxx.xxx...e.....l.........xxx.xxx....lllllxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxllll......xxTTTxx...................xxTTTxx..llllllxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxlllll.......TgT......l..l.......e.....TgT...lllllllxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxxlll..i..xxTTTxx.....l.lld.........xxTTTxxlllllllllxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxllll.....xxx.xxx.l..l.llllll.....llxxx.xxxllllllllllxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxxllll.....xx.xx...l.llllllllll..llllxx.xxllllllllllxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxlllll............l.lllllllxllllllllllllllllllllllllxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxxlll............lllllxllllllxllllllllllllll..lllllxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxxllll............lllxxlxlllxxxlllllllllll.....llllxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxllll.....e......llllxxxl...lxlxlllllll.l.l....llllxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxllll.............lllllxl.....lxlllllllll......llllxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxllllll............lllllxl.......lxllllll.........llllxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxllllll.f.......dllllllll...<...llllllld........f.llllxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxllllll.........llllllll.......llllll...e........llllxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxllllll........lllllllxll.....lxlllll...........llllxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxllll....e..llllllllllxxl...lxlxllll..........lllxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxxllll.....llllllllllllxxlllxlxxlll............lllxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxxxlllllll...llllllllxlxllllllxlll.........e...llllxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxxlllllllll....llll.llllxxlllxlll...............lllxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxxlllllllllxx.xxll....lllllllll......xx.xx.....llllxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxxxlllllllxxx.xxxl...l..lllllll.....xxx.xxx....lllxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:XxxxxxxxxxllllllllxxTTTxx......l.lllllll....xxTTTxx....lllxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxlllllll....TgT........l.llllllll.....TgT.......lllxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxllllllll..xxTTTxx..e..l.lllxlxlxl...xxTTTxx.....lllllxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxlllllll....xxx.xxx........llllxxll...xxx.xxx.j....lllllxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxllllllll......xx.xx.........ldlxlxll....xx.xx.......llllxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxllllll....e............e..l..lxlll................llllxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxllll............k.........llllll..e...........lllllxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxllll....................llllll.............lllllxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxxllll.............ll...l.flllll...........llllxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:Xxxxxxxxxxllllll.....llll.lllll..lllllllll....llllllllxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:XxxxxxxxxxxlllllllllllllllllllllllllxlllllllllllllllllxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:XxxxxxxxxxxxlllllllllllllllxxlxllllxxxlllllllllxxllllxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxlllllllxxllxxxxxlxxxxxxxllxxlllxxxxlxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxllllxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:XxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxlxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxX
              D:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
              # Starting position
              P:26:34
              Edit: You have my sympathies for the Possessor work, it looks like a real grind.
              Last edited by clouded; August 18, 2013, 23:22.

Comment

• chris
                PosChengband Maintainer
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by clouded
                Are you open to replacing or redoing some quests?
                Yes. And if by redoing you mean snagging working quest files redone by other people, then double yes! I can cut and paste with the best of them

I tried the quest out, and yeah, it will be a bit harder. Much harder for unprepared non-stealthy characters, actually. But the reward justifies this, IMO.

Thanks for the hard work. And I think doing quests *is* hard work ... I've sunk many hours into The Barrow Downs and it remains my lone contribution to the quest collection. Actually, I'm not sure Hengband added any either, at least off the top of my head. They might all be Zangband originals!

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

I think I recognize all of the names of these quests from back when I played Zangband, yeah.

Comment

• Arjen
                    Adept
                    • Dec 2010

Got a question about inscribtion for equipment. Does '!!' do something?

Comment

• chris
                      PosChengband Maintainer
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Arjen
                      Got a question about inscribtion for equipment. Does '!!' do something?
                      It disturbs the player with a message when the object has recharged. I use it heavily for rods as well as for certain artifacts like Amber.

Comment

• Darin
                        Apprentice
                        • Jun 2010

Ran into Icky Queen on level 33 of Icky Caves

In v1.0.37 I ran into the Icky Queen in level 33 of the Icky Caves. I assume I am not supposed to run into her until I reach level 35. So does anything bad happen if I kill her now, or do I just get my stat gain sooner? Here is a screen shot, and I have copied the saved game in case it is a bug.

Comment

• Roch
                          Adept
                          • Oct 2008

Not a bug -- the level 35 guardian is not the icky queen.

Comment

• Darin
                            Apprentice
                            • Jun 2010

Ah, my mistake then. Thanks!

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

Beyond the stat-up, and whatever possible items the unique can drop, is there any particular point to completing dungeons? I mean, obviously you have to finish Angband at some point, but the others?

Comment

• Darin
                                Apprentice
                                • Jun 2010

Originally posted by Derakon
                                Beyond the stat-up, and whatever possible items the unique can drop, is there any particular point to completing dungeons? I mean, obviously you have to finish Angband at some point, but the others?
                                Not that I know of. I'm not having much luck finding stat gain potions, so I'm picking off what I hope are easier dungeons to get my Constitution up. I never played Heng/Zang/Chengband much, so I am pretty much just flailing around.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎