Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roch
    Adept
    • Oct 2008

Since you ask, I have fond memories of playing as a Quylthulg during a Posband competition (78):

Comment

• fred
      Rookie
      • Jul 2013

Ring of Power monster race. Good/evil alignment paths. Each developed race has its own flavor of added powers/stat gains, reflecting the Rings possessing its way up the racial food chain, a more powerful racial type being able to control more of the Rings powers.
      Last edited by fred; July 13, 2013, 07:33.

Comment

• chris
        PosChengband Maintainer
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by fred
        Ring of Power monster race. Good/evil alignment paths. Each developed race has its own flavor of added powers/stat gains, reflecting the Rings possessing its way up the racial food chain, a more powerful racial type being able to control more of the Rings powers.
        I like this ... Of course, you would have to "ride monsters" to move about

And Nazgul should be friendly to you!

"You feel precious ..."

EDIT: I like the idea of finally reuniting with Sauron to face The Serpent!
        Last edited by chris; July 13, 2013, 15:06.

Comment

• chris
          PosChengband Maintainer
          • Jan 2008

A small Death-Sword only release (1.0.30) has been pushed here:

[1] FA/SI only require 1 essence.
          [2] Tengu and Death-Sword reward is Dagger of Westernesse
          [3] High Resistances require 2 or even 3 essences rather than 1.
          [4] Stormbringer is not cursed for Death-Swords.
          [5] Death-Sword innate Hold Life wasn't working. Fixed.
          [6] Death-Scythe blows reduced from 4 to 3. (I figure they will get +1 blow from Extra Blows essences).
          [7] Player no longer displayed as "Cursed"
          [8] Death-Swords may now increase their light radius.
          [9] Wild and Order weapons no longer grant Slaying essences.

Comment

• chris
            PosChengband Maintainer
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Roch
            Since you ask, I have fond memories of playing as a Quylthulg during a Posband competition (78):

http://angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=78
            Quylthulgs would be rather straightforward to implement. I've only hesitated up to this point because, for some reason, summoning based play has never been popular in Hengband. Perhaps if you are a -10 speed quivering mound of flesh it will become more entertaining?

Of course, some of the Hengband based summoning restrictions (like no xp or drops from work done by your pets) need to be removed.

Is it more fun to choose your evolutionary path or to have it happen randomly? (Nexus can evolve to one of Demonic, Rotting or Draconic which eventually branch back to Master for the final form).

Comment

• Roch
              Adept
              • Oct 2008

I'd vote random - part of the evolution fixed, part variable, interesting overall.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                Veteran
                • Jan 2012

I found ?new bug in the latest version: Apparently, the game no longer lets you sell "equipped items" to ANY stores. Is this intended?
                My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Arjen
                  Adept
                  • Dec 2010

Wow, is it normal for a Death Sword (monster) to have 15 attacks in a row?

Comment

• chris
                    PosChengband Maintainer
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                    I found ?new bug in the latest version: Apparently, the game no longer lets you sell "equipped items" to ANY stores. Is this intended?
                    Ooops ... That's embarrassing!

It will be fixed for next release (1.0.31). At least there is a workaround

Comment

• chris
                      PosChengband Maintainer
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Arjen
                      Wow, is it normal for a Death Sword (monster) to have 15 attacks in a row?
                      Dunno. Did it kill you?

Death Swords are +20 speed and are 3x faster than a +0 speed player. So you should expect 12 attacks in a row in that situation. A quadruple move is probably likely as well with the random speed system.

Comment

• Arjen
                        Adept
                        • Dec 2010

Yeah, I was from full health to -3.

Comment

• Arjen
                          Adept
                          • Dec 2010

Does a weapon of (life) give you something except the slays? Just ate a +4 one, but I don't see any changes (Was expecting +4 con).

Comment

• chris
                            PosChengband Maintainer
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Arjen
                            Does a weapon of (life) give you something except the slays? Just ate a +4 one, but I don't see any changes (Was expecting +4 con).
                            Life weapons don't boost Con. Instead, they boost "life", effectively increasing you life rating. They aren't coded at the moment, but I suppose I could add them for next release.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by chris
                              Ooops ... That's embarrassing!

It will be fixed for next release (1.0.31). At least there is a workaround
                              Similarly, version 1.0.30 doesn't let you drop 'equipped items' to your home.

More bugs that have been overlooked:
                              For Beastman Chaos Warriors, the Chaos Patron name is embedded in the same line as the birth mutation on character creation screen.

Items disappear when Chaos Warrior gets a 'Use my gift wisely' action at game start

Various messages for Chaos Warriors, like 'Rise servent..etc' at birth do not show up via the 'p' command...annoying, imo

Play a Beastman Chaos-Warrior, and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; July 15, 2013, 01:06.
                              My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• chris
                                PosChengband Maintainer
                                • Jan 2008

I just released 1.0.31 here.

This is a big gameplay change for the Death-Swords, and a bit of display cleanup. If you have a substantial character running in 1.0.30, you might be disappointed if you upgrade. Here is why:

The essences required to enhance your current body (weapon) are dependent on that form. Generally, as you evolve, the number of essences required increase (perhaps doubling). As an example, Slay Evil requires the following:

Broken Death Sword: 2
                                Death Sword: 4
                                Poleaxe of Animated Attack: 8
                                Hellblade: 16
                                Death Scythe: 32

As another example, Slay Orc requires:
                                Broken Death Sword: 1
                                Death Sword: 1
                                Poleaxe of Animated Attack: 1
                                Hellblade: 2
                                Death Scythe: 4

You should be able to get at least some good slays in every form (except perhaps the first which is over too quickly), but then you *should* lose most of them when you evolve. If I got the numbers right, that is. I really wanted to play a character thru while designing, but something just came up and I need to be away for a bit.

Sorry Hugo, I didn't get time to address you last list of bugs. But I did fix the shop bug when selling or dropping equipped items.

Next planned additions are Qyulthulgs, Golems, and perhaps Rings!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎