X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris
    PosChengband Maintainer
    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by jevansau
    I'm happy to have a try at compiling. is there a makefile for Windows - I couldn't see one in the source.
    For Windows, I use Visual Studio Express 2010 for development, which is available for free. You do have to register it or it looks like a trial version (i.e. says something about 30 days left for evaluation ISTR), but registration is free and once done, you won't be nagged again.

There is a Visual Studio solution file: Poschengband.sln in the src directory. Simply double click on that, make your source changes, and compile. The output directory for the binary is set to "$(SolutionDir)\..\" so it places the executable up one level, parallel to the lib directory, which is just where the executable needs to be if you are to run it properly.

If you don't already have VS installed or feel like this might be too much of a hassle, just let me know and I will push my update. Really, this is not a bother and only takes me about 5 minutes. I only hesitate to push an update for a single change though since other users will see it and feel like they should upgrade to the latest version. And unless you are playing a sorcerer, there is no need But, if anybody has other ideas/bugs/changes/wants/desires then perhaps I can spend tonight developing a more substantial release.

As an aside, I don't recommend using VS 2012. I tried it, but MS seems to love to rewrite all their software from scratch on every release. They broke the Intellisense compiler going from 2010 to 2012 so that it perma-spikes one of your CPU cores when editing certain large C files (like spells1.c with its gargantuan 5kloc project_m function). Obviously, that gets rather annoying, not to mention that the Intellisense often stops working altogether. VS 2010 works just fine (using less than 1% of the CPU that 2012 does) and Intellisense never breaks for me.

EDIT: If you don't already have VS installed or if you have little interest in developing with it, then I don't recommend installing it. The download is rather large and takes a looong time, especially if you don't already have .NET installed.
    Last edited by chris; May 8, 2013, 23:15.

Comment

• jevansau
      Adept
      • Jan 2009

If you don't mind pushing an update that would be appreciated.

I'll get Visual Studio express anyway, but it looks like a large slow download.

Regards,
      Jonathan

Comment

• chris
        PosChengband Maintainer
        • Jan 2008

Version 1.0.23 is now available here. This is a small release, but fixes a major bug for the Sorcerer class.

[1] Sorcerers should use Charisma as the spell stat, not Intelligence.

[2] Trump Branding now generates a pval (1d2).

[3] Any Band Weapon by the player marks the object at a 99% discount, and won't re-enchant an ego or artifact. If Brand Weapon fails, Mysticism is decreased.

[4] A couple of objects had their costs set to 0 in k_info.txt (since we no longer use hard coded costs for most objects). However, having a cost of 0 flags the object as broken so that the auto-destroyer will attempt a squelch. I gave these objects gibberish non-zero costs for the time being.

[5] The Marilith Enchantment power is now a bit easier to cast.

Comment

• Djabanete
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Hi Chris,
          I'm having some trouble with auto-pickup. I'm playing version 1.0.13.
          At first I was using your default auto-pickup settings, but I wanted to make some changes. So I tried implementing the rules

!unidentified common weapons
          !unidentified common armor

as well as similar rules for other equipment types. But instead of destroying the items like I was hoping, it started to just pseudo-ID the items off the floor. Now the floor is cluttered with {good} light crossbows and short bows and no instructions I give will auto-destroy them. I've tried very harsh conditions like

!weapons
          !good
          !unidentified

and nothing touches them. However, items that have been identified respond properly --- for example a Do-Maru [20, +4] gets auto-destroyed by

!nameless common armors

There are some weird quirks, for example, {excellent} items seem to respond properly to my instructions. So it's just {good} items (the overwhelming majority, sadly) that I'm having trouble with. Edit: Another quirk is that when I manually destroy, say, a {good} Tulwar, and then select "Auto", a message appears saying that the object is already registered to be auto-destroyed, even when I have not registered Tulwars for auto-destroy.

Am I missing something obvious?

Savefile and .prf file available on request.

Comment

• chris
            PosChengband Maintainer
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Djabanete
            Hi Chris,
            I'm having some trouble with auto-pickup. I'm playing version 1.0.13.
            At first I was using your default auto-pickup settings, but I wanted to make some changes. So I tried implementing the rules

as well as similar rules for other equipment types. But instead of destroying the items like I was hoping, it started to just pseudo-ID the items off the floor.
            The issue is with the options leave_good and leave_excellent. Turn off leave_good and you should be fine unless you really want to destroy common item egos as well, in which case you may turn off leave_excellent.

Both leave_good and leave_excellent were added as a means to completely bypass the pseudo-id system, as you have noticed (since it gives instant pseudo-id and destroys all common average stuff). But I've made changes to pseudo-id and when I get around to playing a bit, I may decide to remove both of these options in a future release.

Comment

• Djabanete
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Fantastic. Thank you!

Edit: OK, wait, still confused. Having chosen "yes" for the "auto-destroyer leaves unknown good/excellent" options, I find that the auto-destroyer is treating the two kinds of items differently. I'm using

and I find that an Executioner's Sword {excellent} is squelched while a Robe {good} is untouched. Is this how it's supposed to work?

Edit2: Of course, ideally I want to set "leave unknown {good} items" to No and "leave unknown {excellent} items" to Yes, and I want the Sword {excellent} to be left untouched while the Robe {good} is destroyed.
              Last edited by Djabanete; May 16, 2013, 03:16.

Comment

• Arjen
                Adept
                • Dec 2010

How can you find out how much strength you need to one hand wield weapons while riding?

I found a heavy lance (on a dead dude), but with /119 I wasn't able to actually wield it. I was wondering how much STR it required to actually be able to use it. Can you calculate it somehow? The game doesn't show stats when a weapon is too heavy.

Comment

• jevansau
                  Adept
                  • Jan 2009

A small Sorcerer bug - the class power is based on Int rather than Cha.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                    Veteran
                    • Jun 2007

A small Sorcerer bug - the class power is based on Int rather than Cha.
                    Already reported. Get 1.0.23.

Comment

• jevansau
                      Adept
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
                      Already reported. Get 1.0.23.
                      The spell stat being Int was fixed in 1.0.23, but the class power being based on Int wasn't.

This really is a pretty minor problem.

Comment

• Angry Bob
                        Rookie
                        • Jun 2013

Is the psion's casting stat wisdom or intelligence?

Comment

• Roch
                          Adept
                          • Oct 2008

Not positive, but from the Chengband ladder psions it looks like intelligence. See, e.g., http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=12984

Comment

• chris
                            PosChengband Maintainer
                            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Angry Bob
                            Is the psion's casting stat wisdom or intelligence?
                            Spell stat is Int or Wis or Chr, whichever is currently highest. Psion's are unique in this respect ...

Comment

• chris
                              PosChengband Maintainer
                              • Jan 2008

The spell stat being Int was fixed in 1.0.23, but the class power being based on Int wasn't.

This really is a pretty minor problem.
                              Thanks. The sorcerer's Eat Magic power will use the correct stat of Charisma starting with 1.0.24 ...

Comment

• chris
                                PosChengband Maintainer
                                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Arjen
                                How can you find out how much strength you need to one hand wield weapons while riding?

I found a heavy lance (on a dead dude), but with /119 I wasn't able to actually wield it. I was wondering how much STR it required to actually be able to use it. Can you calculate it somehow? The game doesn't show stats when a weapon is too heavy.
                                Sorry for the delayed response.

The Weapon Info currently does not spoil this aspect of melee ... perhaps it should? At any rate, you need an 18/170 str to wield a 40lb heavy lance with just one hand, or an 18/10 str to wield it with two hands.

If you don't mind reading code, here are the details:
                                Code:
                                /*
                                 * Stat Table (STR) -- weapon weight limit in pounds
                                 */
                                byte adj_str_hold[] =
                                {
                                	4       /* 3 */,
                                	5       /* 4 */,
                                	6       /* 5 */,
                                	7       /* 6 */,
                                	8       /* 7 */,
                                	9       /* 8 */,
                                	10      /* 9 */,
                                	11      /* 10 */,
                                	12      /* 11 */,