• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tempestad
    Rookie
    • Jul 2012

[DaJAngband] Amulet of Alertness description

So, I found this:
    a Colored Glass Amulet of Alertness (+1)

And when I examine it, says:
    It increases your alertness by 5.

Is this an error? Or what does it means?

Thanks!

Edit: I figured I coult just equip it and see (duh!). It actually gives 5 alertness. But still, is this an error? I'm new at angband.
    Last edited by tempestad; July 26, 2012, 23:52.
  • buzzkill
    Prophet
    • May 2008

I looked through a bunch of my DaJ dumps and 'of alertness' was the only property I found where +1 actually equated to +5, though 'of magic device skill' may operate similarly.
    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Philip
      Knight
      • Jul 2009

I suppose it was done like this because alertness is weaker than any other boosts, and as such +x alertness on an artifact would require either fewer or more boosts to everything else.

Comment

• will_asher
        DaJAngband Maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by tempestad
        So, I found this:
        a Colored Glass Amulet of Alertness (+1)

And when I examine it, says:
        It increases your alertness by 5.

Is this an error? Or what does it means?

Thanks!

Edit: I figured I coult just equip it and see (duh!). It actually gives 5 alertness. But still, is this an error? I'm new at angband.
        It raises your alertness by 5, but +1 is the pval. A couple pvals have a multiplier in DAJ (magic device skill does work like this too).
        It's not really an error, it's just something a little bit ugly that I didn't think was really worth fixing.
        IIRC, searching works the same way in some older versions of V.
        Will_Asher
        aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
        http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Mikko Lehtinen
          Veteran
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by will_asher
          It raises your alertness by 5, but +1 is the pval. A couple pvals have a multiplier in DAJ (magic device skill does work like this too).
          It's not really an error, it's just something a little bit ugly that I didn't think was really worth fixing.
          IIRC, searching works the same way in some older versions of V.
          I have the exactly same problem in the dev version of Fay. Lots of items that grant bonuses to percentage-based skills have their pval multiplied by five. I've yet to find an elegant fix to this. An item can have many abilities, and only some have pval-multipliers.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎