X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karzack
    Rookie
    • Dec 2007

sCthAngband

Anyone play this variant, or tried it? I tried it a few years ago, maybe once. After seeing the name come up in the Zangband post I tried it again. This time for more than 5 mins, lol. I must say, it's quite interesting. I haven't made it very far and I sacrificed a dozen characters I think so far.

I really like the skill system. Which is something I look forward to most in any rpg I have played. It seems to be hard to find rpgs with skill systems. I haven't figured out much of the magic part yet, but I haven't toyed with it to much.

What determines if a variant is listed on the Variants tab to download? I noticed that this nor CthAngband was listed there. Among a few others I noticed on the old Angband website.
  • pav
    Administrator
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Karzack
    What determines if a variant is listed on the Variants tab to download? I noticed that this nor CthAngband was listed there. Among a few others I noticed on the old Angband website.
    No one added it there, as simple as that.
    See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• kathoum
      Rookie
      • Jan 2008

I remember playing sCth for a while some years ago. I was charmed by the Tourist class, and I eventually managed to get quite deep.

Indeed, it was very easy to advance in all of the offensive skills, but in order to get more HP you had to let monsters hit you just to increase the Toughness skill... and failing to do so caused the death of the poor tourist.

However, I liked the wilderness: it had cities, dungeons with fixed questors, towers, and a random layout... and best of all, the Cthulhu monsters!

Dario

Comment

• smithfield
        Rookie
        • May 2007

I looked around at many variants a few years ago. sCth was the one that I stuck with for quite a while. I liked it a lot, all the stuff that katoum mentions. If you can, find a copy of Lovecraft's The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath. It is a lovely story and the inspriation for this *-band.

Comment

• smithfield
          Rookie
          • May 2007

How do you add variants to the list?

Comment

• pav
            Administrator
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by smithfield
            How do you add variants to the list?
            By hand, of course. Do you have a working download location for the Windows binary of 1.0.18? The sCth website links to clockwork which is defunct since.

Comment

• takkaria
              Veteran
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by pav
              By hand, of course. Do you have a working download location for the Windows binary of 1.0.18? The sCth website links to clockwork which is defunct since.
              ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/games/Angband...nd1018-win.zip
              takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• pav
                Administrator
                • Apr 2007

D'oh! Could have thought about looking at sunet...
                Well, Variants tab entry created.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡