X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cyrlous
    Rookie
    • Dec 2007

Concerning Zangband...

This has got to be just about my all-time favorite variant overall, and I'm just wondering whether this thing's dead and gone. The Zangband.org site is way out of date and for some reason doesn't even have the latest version. If this game is still being worked on, where would I go for the latest info? (I already have the latest version, downloaded from this site, but it's rather old)
  • Seany C
    Swordsman
    • Apr 2007

It certainly appears to be dead - there's not been any signs of life that I'm aware of since 2005 or so.

Then again, I'm fonder of some of the earlier versions (around 2.2.4 to 2.4.0) so the lack of development didn't bother me quite so much (and ToME contains most of the Z monsters too)...

Comment

• Cyrlous
      Rookie
      • Dec 2007

Well, I really liked where it was going, but as it is it just kinda got left uncompleted and there are a ton of loose ends. The one thing I really hate is those long rooms that get generated with either acid or water running across it. Those look really stupid and are annoying as well. But seriously, it's very disappointing to me to see such a great variant go out with a whimper like this. It's truly one of the all-time greats and it deserves better.

Comment

• konijn_
        Hellband maintainer
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Cyrlous
        Well, I really liked where it was going, but as it is it just kinda got left uncompleted and there are a ton of loose ends. The one thing I really hate is those long rooms that get generated with either acid or water running across it. Those look really stupid and are annoying as well. But seriously, it's very disappointing to me to see such a great variant go out with a whimper like this. It's truly one of the all-time greats and it deserves better.
        Write svf@mssl.ucl.ac.uk an email telling him to finish it.

Cheers,
        T.
        * Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.8 is out! *

Comment

• dionysian
          Apprentice
          • Apr 2007

the dev team doesn't really care... they cared only enough to break just about every aspect of the game, and then drop the project. it's really quite a shame how they ruined the once-proud zangband... it's heresy
          Oh, Mr. Speaker, I had underestimated the tenderness of the feelings of the members opposite.
          --Barney Frank

Comment

• zaimoni
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by dionysian
            the dev team doesn't really care... they cared only enough to break just about every aspect of the game, and then drop the project. it's really quite a shame how they ruined the once-proud zangband... it's heresy
            There was a blip on RGRA a couple of months back(?) from one of the secondary developers. He had noticeable difficulty just getting Z to compile, but did succeed.
            Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
            Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
            Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

• Jude
              Adept
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by dionysian
              What did they mess up about it?

If there's a better, older version than the one I'm playing, I want to.

And yeah, I fucking despise those rectangular water/swamp rooms...the only thing worse is the entire open levels just full of nothing but water and swamp. Those things need to just get taken out of the code.

Also the fact that on dlvl10 there is invariably a jelly pit...literally every single time.

Comment

• dionysian
                Apprentice
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Jude
                What did they mess up about it?

If there's a better, older version than the one I'm playing, I want to.
                I'd say check out 2.4, it's superior to anything in the post-devteam era.
                Oh, Mr. Speaker, I had underestimated the tenderness of the feelings of the members opposite.
                --Barney Frank

Comment

• Cyrlous
                  Rookie
                  • Dec 2007

I kinda liked the old random quests deal too. It gave me something interesting to look forward to every other level or so. I do think that they were originally working towards some very interesting goals with this game, but they unfortunately left it half-done, meaning it's rather broken in many ways.

Comment

• dionysian
                    Apprentice
                    • Apr 2007

oh yeah. if they had actually finished some of the stuff they were planning it would have been great. they had a lot of clever ideas. unfortunately, they ended up just breaking everything in preparation for the new features, and then not implementing any of the features fully.
                    --Barney Frank

Comment

• Sealer
                      Rookie
                      • Dec 2007

What's better in earlier versions that has been removed in later Zang releases?

Comment

• Jude
                        Adept
                        • Nov 2007

That's what I wanted to know too.

Comment

• dionysian
                          Apprentice
                          • Apr 2007

zangband had some pretty awesome fixed quests and a great fixed wilderness/multiple towns. the race/class system was much better, the combat system didn't suck, etc.. it was just good. i haven't played in a few years or i'd be able to speak on it a bit more articulately. i'd say go and play it and it will be obvious
                          --Barney Frank

Comment

• Sealer
                            Rookie
                            • Dec 2007

I have newest version on my cpu. My first impression was "Woah, where are all the buildings?" There used to be loads of shops where you could enhance equipment and a building with quests in older versions. But I like it that there are so many races and classes.

Comment

• smithfield
                              Rookie
                              • May 2007

First, there was Zangband
                              Then, there was Cthangband
                              Finally, there is sCthangbad

This is variant is delightful. It's strange how an odd and rich setting makes a game seem new and strange. The Lovecraft setting really works for me.

Sadly, It also seems to be defunct.

But the most recent version 1.0.18 is complete and playable.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎