X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cowgod
    Rookie
    • Apr 2011

Sangband Video Series

I'm making a Let's Play of Sangband, though it only has captions, not me talking.

I've been uploading it to YouTube. My playlist for it is at: http://www.youtube.com/user/cowgodga...C4E58B98242D14 .

I normally cut the shopping portion of the game from the videos because it's boring. As it is, it's mostly video of me looking for stairs and running away from stuff.

It's not really that interesting, but I've seen videos doing the same thing for vanilla Angband. I figured I would do it for Sangband. I think I'm going to refer to my YouTube channel as "The Number One Source for Sangband Gameplay Videos". It's in fact, the only source of Sangband gameplay videos on YouTube, so I figure that it's "Number One".

I did do a series of videos before, but I didn't add captions to them. That makes the old ones kind of suck.

I'm not some kind of Sangband expert, so there's the very real chance that I'll get slaughtered. In the first set of videos, I had beginner mode turned on, but I'm not doing that with this set. I'm being extremely careful, but I've already come within a point or two of death several times.

Edit: Fixed Link.
    Last edited by cowgod; May 3, 2011, 03:33.
  • buzzkill
    Prophet
    • May 2008

bad link???
    www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
    My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• camlost
      Sangband 1.x Maintainer
      • Apr 2007

You might try:

a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
      3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}

Comment

• cowgod
        Rookie
        • Apr 2011

Oops. The link I posted only worked for me. Apparently, I posted some kind of special relative link that requires you to be logged into my account.

In any case, I fixed the link.

The other link camlost posted (http://www.youtube.com/user/cowgodga...9F50EC517E4B66) is a link to my old playthrough without annotations. In the old playthrough, I had beginner mode turned on, died, came back to life, and then quit after a little while. It just feels cheap to play after you've already lost.

Comment

• buzzkill
          Prophet
          • May 2008

I like the light-hearted commentary. I hate the way it drops in from the top of the screen. I don't know what your options are, but scrolling text might be nice.
          www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.

Comment

• cowgod
            Rookie
            • Apr 2011

I can make it scroll from the side. I only have a limited number of options with the little background, which I'm trying to keep so that the text doesn't blend in with the other text at the bottom.

I'll try it for video #11 and then change it for the other videos if it's better that way.

Comment

• cowgod
              Rookie
              • Apr 2011

That's a link to the 11th video. I made the text come in from the side. Is that an improvement?

I have the nagging suspicion that these are going to be videos that no one watches anyways.

Comment

• buzzkill
                Prophet
                • May 2008

I don't play ascii, so I don't much enjoy watching ascii either, but the text is better. Don't worry about how many people watch them, as long as you enjoy making them.

Comment

• cowgod
                  Rookie
                  • Apr 2011

I think I'll keep uploading them with the text coming in from the side, but I'm not going to go back and change the old ones.

Originally posted by buzzkill
                  I don't play ascii, so I don't much enjoy watching ascii either, but the text is better. Don't worry about how many people watch them, as long as you enjoy making them.
                  Writing the text is a little bit tedious, but I like being able to look back at the videos and remember what I did earlier in the game. I don't think I would like watching videos other people made about an ASCII game, but I like to have some kind of record just to look back on.

I'm not going to sit around watching them over-and-over, but I like to look back and figure out exactly what happened in those situations where it was a little confusing.

The only downside is that it takes alot longer to play the game when I record and annotate it like this.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎