X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jude
    Adept
    • Nov 2007

Odd question about corpses

OK so I just started playing Zangband. I have a human death paladin, doing pretty well. Anyway, I noticed that unlike in Vanilla, monsters leave corpses behind when I kill them. I noticed that ghouls can apparently eat these for food, but I was wondering if there is any other use for them?

I was recently playing Diablo 2 where the Necromancer can reanimate corpses, and, in what's probably the coolest spell idea in any game I've ever seen, explode them for a lot of damage to other nearby monsters. Since I have a character using death magic, I was wondering if any high level spells are going to show up that will let me do stuff with corpses or if they're just there for atmosphere and ghoul food.

And are there any other variants that do make use of this idea?
  • andrewdoull
    Unangband maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Jude
    OK so I just started playing Zangband. I have a human death paladin, doing pretty well. Anyway, I noticed that unlike in Vanilla, monsters leave corpses behind when I kill them. I noticed that ghouls can apparently eat these for food, but I was wondering if there is any other use for them?

I was recently playing Diablo 2 where the Necromancer can reanimate corpses, and, in what's probably the coolest spell idea in any game I've ever seen, explode them for a lot of damage to other nearby monsters. Since I have a character using death magic, I was wondering if any high level spells are going to show up that will let me do stuff with corpses or if they're just there for atmosphere and ghoul food.

And are there any other variants that do make use of this idea?
    Entroband definitely has the 'explode pets' idea, as discussed elsewhere in these forums.

Unangband will let you animate various corpses you find, with the right mage spell (from the Master school).

Other than that, I'm not sure...
    The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
    In UnAngband, the level dives you.
    ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
    Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• Djabanete
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Some races eat them. Turning in "wanted" unique corpses will net you rewards. Both players and monsters can reanimate corpses.

But yeah, they're basically just there to get in the way.

"Oooh, a Feanorian Lamp at depth 1? Oh no, its a dead horse."

Comment

• Jude
        Adept
        • Nov 2007

Huh, I looked at the Zangband spoilers for both life and death magic spells, which seemed the most likely to have something along the lines of reanimating, but they have nothing aside from the summon undead spell in death magic.

Oh well.

Still, someone should put a corpse explosion spell in some variant. Not to mention ability to harvest food from corpses, etc.

Comment

• Fuma
          Adept
          • May 2007

In ToME you can make totems from the corpses and then throw the totems to summon the monster.
          I have a very faint memory of seeing a "explode corpses" spell in some variant, but I may be mistaken.
          www.snowleopard.org - International Snow Leopard Trust

Comment

• Daven_26d1
            Adept
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Fuma
            In ToME you can make totems from the corpses and then throw the totems to summon the monster.
            I have a very faint memory of seeing a "explode corpses" spell in some variant, but I may be mistaken.
            ToME also has an "explode pets" spell. I remember playing a (demonologist?) and having great fun with this.
            You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
            The shopkeeper howls in agony!
            You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".

Comment

• nobody
              Apprentice
              • Jul 2007

guys, this is the only forum that i'd actually open up a thread with such a title

Comment

• Djabanete
                Knight
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by nobody
                guys, this is the only forum that i'd actually open up a thread with such a title
                I can't believe I'm passing up this opportunity to make fun of NetHack, but I'm just not feeling funny right now.

Comment

• Serith
                  Rookie
                  • Nov 2007

Tome has a lot of things you can do with corpses.

First, any character can eat them, or hack them to pieces, and eat those. With some monsters this can cause things to happen, like damages, resistances, and summoning pets.

Anyone with skill points in possession can posess corpses, which allows you to use some of the monster's powers, and can change what things you can equip.

Anyone with skill points in summoning can summon monsters from totems made from corpses. This even works on uniques, but there's a chance that they won't be friendly.

Necromancers can bring corpses back to life, although the raised monster isn't always friendly.

Worshippers of Melkor can learn the corpse explosion spell at level ten, which causes all corpses surrounding the caster to explode.

There's probably more, but those are the most obvious ones.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎