So - what are your thoughts on wilderness?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arralen
    Swordsman
    • May 2007

I suspect all those crying 'bout the FAA wilderness haven't seen any wilderness vaults yet

Originally posted by Nick
    What I have tried (with I think some but not complete success) to do in FA is to make the wilderness a regular part of the game rather than an add-on. I don't expect any player to go to every bit of the wilderness - in fact, there may be bits that no-one will ever go to.

You're lucky you never played early versions where there was more wilderness
    I like the FAA wilderness, and didn't have any problems with earlier version.
    Ok, I did have some problems, but nothing that a new character wasn't able to cure
    For me, it's a pity that the wilderness got shortened ... besides those pesky mountains, maybe, which IMHO still need a little bit of an overhaul as far as the generation algho is concerned - they still look odd ... .

I would rather have the dungeons shortened, and the wilderness levels just around the dungeons made more dangerous.

Just got an intriguing idea - with a little bit of engine rewrite
    it should be possible to have seamless levels :
    Why not "pre-gen" the next wilderness level and stitch it together with the current one as soon as the @ gets near enough to look over the border ?

Oh, and maybe add pack animals that follow the @ around the wilderness levels, up to the dungeon entrance, where they (and a good part of the consumables) have to be left behind, to be fetched again after the @ returns from the dungeons depths.
    And then, get rid of recall scrolls. Or make them only work for the return to the surface.

hmm .... "SeamlessBand" ...
    No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
    Never. Ever.

Comment

• Adley
      Adept
      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Arralen
      I suspect all those crying 'bout the FAA wilderness haven't seen any wilderness vaults yet
      Correct. It sounds epic, but far away. Add a CatH style "nightmare mode"?
      There is a talk about seamless Dungeons in vanilla forum...
      Originally posted by Derakon
      Sadly, every character ever created in Angband was given a magnifying glass by their eccentric uncle for their fifth birthday...

Comment

• AnonymousHero
        Veteran
        • Jun 2007

Disclosure: The wilderness types I've tried are: Vanilla (i.e. none), Heng-/Entroband/ToME (overhead map) and FAangband (esssentially dungeons with guaranteed stairs in the "necessary" directions).

My preference is definitely: Overhead map or none. The FAangband wilderness is extremely annoying (though mercifully smaller) in comparison to the regular "overhead map" type wilderness.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎