X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sabreman
    Rookie
    • Jul 2007

Variant with persistent dungeons?

I know this is goes against one of the main features of Angband and its variants, but I was wondering if there is, out there among the many variants, one that maintains the dungeon layout from floor to floor?

I started playing Roguelikes about a year ago, and I've tried many from Vanilla Angband to Dungeon Crawl to Nethack and many variants inbetween. I don't get on with Nethack much because I don't particularly like the interface and it seems overly complex. Dungeon Crawl is superb but I always feel like I want something more from it. Angband gives me the extras I want from DC (quests, shops, etc.) but I really don't enjoy the randomizing floors - it disconnects me from the world of the game.

So obviously my perfect Roguelike would be a combination of the persistence of Dungeon Crawl and the feature set and interface of Angband. One that generates a random dungeon floor the first time to visit it, but from then on maintains it for the duration of that game.

Sooo... I don't suppose there's such a game nestled amid the variants?
  • Djabanete
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

I've often wanted the same thing. I don't think such a variant exists. Entroband (and I assume Hengband also) has "semi-persistent" dungeon levels; dungeon levels are remembered until you return to town, then the whole memory is erased again.

I keep wanting to give NetHack a legitimate attempt, but every time I try, I remember how annoying it is to relearn a whole set of commands...

Comment

• Sabreman
      Rookie
      • Jul 2007

Thanks for the suggestion - I've just had a brief go on Hengband and it's very close to what I'm looking for

Comment

• Frumple
        Rookie
        • May 2007

I feel kinda' odd mentioning a non-*band, but there is one roguelike that I've ran across (that I remember, heh) that generates a level then keeps it for the duration of the game -- Incursion. It's considerably shorter than your average *band, game time wise (you can beat the game in a single day, fully exploring every level of the dungeon, without doing anything resembling 'diving'.), and probably a bit more complex in some ways, but as far as dungeon generation goes, it fits your description to a T.

Comment

• Arralen
          Swordsman
          • May 2007

... ADOM ...

PS: I hate spellcheckers ...
          No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
          Never. Ever.

Comment

• nobody
            Apprentice
            • Jul 2007

i like random levels, but when i was halfway asleep last night, i was thinking about semi persistent levels, how about a three level buffer? as in the level your on and the one right below and above you will stay the same, if you've already visited them. say you leave town for the first time, level 1 stays the same till you get to level 3. just an idea, and i'm not explaining it too well, cause i have to leave to go to w*rk

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎