• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Therem Harth
    Knight
    • Jan 2008

Un 0.64 thoughts

This is a really interesting variant. My thoughts so far:

- I like the new terrain symbols. Can't say the same for the monster symbols though, ah well.

- Likewise the randomly generated rooms with interesting stuff in them. Very atmospheric.

- On a similar note, this variant is rather gruesome! This actually manages not to be in bad taste though. When you walk into a room, notice a bunch of heads lined up against the opposite wall, and get a message about footsteps somewhere behind you, it definitely contributes to atmosphere - something kind of rare in roguelikes. It feels almost like a survival-horror game at times.

- The creepy atmosphere is nicely complemented by the quirky humor of the occasional notes.

- Monsters using items = cool. Golems with whips are my new nemesis.

I have only one real criticism... Size as a changeable stat is kind of silly. Especially being able to raise it on level gain. It seems to have significant gameplay effects (mostly on hitpoints?) but piloting a ten-foot-tall dwarf is rather strange; IMO if size is going to be a stat, it should only be possible to increase or decrease through obviously magical means, e.g. Entish potions.
  • Adley
    Adept
    • Feb 2010

Your dwarf is not ten foot tall. he his ten foot wide.
    "logic and gameplay aren't the same thing".
    And yes, the graphics are awesome.
    Originally posted by Derakon
    Sadly, every character ever created in Angband was given a magnifying glass by their eccentric uncle for their fifth birthday...

Comment

• EpicMan
      Swordsman
      • Dec 2009

It's not so much the logic of the thing as the breaking of immersion. Maybe call 'Size' Stamina, or Endurance, or Toughness, something so I don't see my character getter bigger as the game goes along. If I am playing a dwarf or especially a hobbit, I don't want to end up taller than humans unless I start out as Hobbo the seven-foot hobbit.

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Size also improves your charge attacks, if I recall correctly.

But yes, it is rather odd.

Comment

• andrewdoull
          Unangband maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Being able to change your size is somewhat faithful to the source material - Ent Draught in particular. And since potions in Unangband don't provide permanent stat improvements, stat gain at level up is the closest approximation.

The issue with size as a stat isn't so much that you can change it, but that at high size levels, it breaks the game - you end up having far too many hit points if you improve your size and have size improving magic items.

The approach I'm going to take in the next release will be there are very few size improving items, so the significance of the stat improvement will be greater.

Remember, Unangband is supposed to be balanced if you decide not to improve a stat so you can always forgo size improvement if it strikes you as wrong...
          The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
          In UnAngband, the level dives you.
          ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
          Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• EpicMan
            Swordsman
            • Dec 2009

I had forgotten about the ent draught and Merry & Pippin. It still seems strange to me but I can't really argue it breaks immersion since it happened in LoTR.

So that leads to a more general question, why 8 stats? It seems like size and CON overlap quite a bit (both being HP stats). Agility and dexterity seem similar as well. I know your intention is that there all stats will be useful to all characters, so why have so many? Fewer stats would probably make it easier to figure out what I want to raise.

This is not a criticism, I just know from reading your blog you put a lot of thought into the changes you make and I don't see much benefit from increasing the number of stats as well as making them all needed in one way or another.

Comment

• Bandobras
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

IIRC, the CON and SIZ separation was, among others, to make the CON stat not dwarf all the other stats combined in usefulness so much. Otherwise all characters end with max CON. If we ended up with all characters at max CON _and_ SIZ, then it did not work as expected...

Comment

• Bostock
                Swordsman
                • Aug 2007

Hitpoints keep you alive.

You cannot win if you do not stay alive.

CON of course gives hitpoints.

The other stats should, in one way or another, be equally useful in keeping you alive.
                So you ride yourselves over the fields and you make all your animal deals and your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

Comment

• Arralen
                  Swordsman
                  • May 2007

Bigger size makes you slower.

Maybe it should make you easier to hit?

Nevertheless, IMHO, there should be some limit on growth - things can really get strange with hobbits, dwarves etc ...

I always wondered why (permanent) stat potions aren't unique/artefacts - they're surely mighty magic, which isn't readily lying around in ME?!

And when will we finally see the marvellous wilderness areas and the nice jewelry (complete with %ual resistances) from FA in UN ?
                  No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant.
                  Never. Ever.

Comment

• andrewdoull
                    Unangband maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Arralen
                    And when will we finally see the marvellous wilderness areas and the nice jewelry (complete with %ual resistances) from FA in UN ?
                    Wilderness yes; percentage resists no...

Andrew
                    The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
                    In UnAngband, the level dives you.
                    ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
                    Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• brokenstep
                      Rookie
                      • Jun 2009

seeing what spell school/book specialization you picked?

I was wondering if there is some way of seeing what spell school / book specialization thingie the character picked during gameplay? I don't really understand this part of the game so I don't know if book specializing is still in but since I make all-random choices on character select it would be nice maybe to see what was picked.

Comment

• brokenstep
                        Rookie
                        • Jun 2009

When I press 'j' to use a shovel to dig a pit, when it asks me to select iron spikes from my bag to spike the pit and I select a bag of supplies, the bag is placed in the trap which becomes a shimmering portal. it should probably let me pick the spikes out of the bag and make a spiked pit as assumedly intended.

Comment

• cnp
                          Rookie
                          • Nov 2010

hi same person as last message changed my name
                          I can wield a weapon of Slay Orc as a half-orc, something the game says I shouldn't be able to do. see dump named Carvak.

Comment

• Adley
                            Adept
                            • Feb 2010

Originally posted by cnp
                            hi same person as last message changed my name
                            I can wield a weapon of Slay Orc as a half-orc, something the game says I shouldn't be able to do. see dump named Carvak.
                            Report an Unangband bug

You'll have to make an account on berlios, but it's worth it
                            Don't forget to check if bug hasn't been reported yet.

On another note, inventing Great wyrm of time and space is probably your most fear inspiring idea, Andrew.
                            Originally posted by Derakon
                            Sadly, every character ever created in Angband was given a magnifying glass by their eccentric uncle for their fifth birthday...

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎