• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gockel
    Apprentice
    • Aug 2010

damage calculation?

Hi there again.

i have another question concerning zangband tk 240r5... i compared 2 weapons at the weapon master and i can't seem to work out how he calculates the damage values.

the weapons are:

lance of extra attacks: 2d8 (+8,+5)
    dam calc: 13-26/strike
    3 strikes per turn

the rapier forasgil: 1d6 (12,+19), slay animal, frost brand
    dam calc: 12-12/strike
    multipliers: vs animal 10-62 / frost brand 12-73
    4 strikes per turn

concerning the lance it seems to fit (more or less):
    2d8+5(weapon deadliness)+5(strength bonus) would make 12-26/strike

but the rapiers calculation confuses me completely! to me it would seem the damage should be
    1d6+19 (deadliness)+5(strength) = 25-30 instead of 12-12

concerning the multipliers, i'm completely clueless how he did his calculations...
    am i missing something? or are his damage calculations simply wrong?

thanks for helping me out again
  • Timo Pietilä
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Gockel
    Hi there again.

i have another question concerning zangband tk 240r5..

but the rapiers calculation confuses me completely! to me it would seem the damage should be
    1d6+19 (deadliness)+5(strength) = 25-30 instead of 12-12
    IIRC Z uses o-combat style damage calculations, so that deadliness is percentile bonus to dice. In fact I'm surprised you get even 12 out of it. That would mean 100% bonus.

I can be completely wrong of course. It has been lifetimes since I have played Z.

Comment

• RogerN
      Swordsman
      • Jul 2008

ZAngband uses a deadliness percentage rather than just adding the to-dam bonuses directly. Damage calculations are totally different from Vanilla Angband. You can find an example of how to calculate melee weapon damage in the help files.

In this case I'm not sure what's wrong with the Weaponmaster. Obviously 12-12 damage is not possible. That may be a bug. I would have expected to see 1-12/strike, with an average of about 6 damage/strike.

Due to how ZAngband handles deadliness, weapons with low damage dice (such as daggers and rapiers) do not benefit as much from enchantments.

Comment

• RogerN
        Swordsman
        • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
        IIRC Z uses o-combat style damage calculations, so that deadliness is percentile bonus to dice. In fact I'm surprised you get even 12 out of it. That would mean 100% bonus.
        I think what happens with Z's deadliness calculations is that you can end up with a fractional damage die. In other words, if your 1d6 rapier has a 3% damage bonus then you end up doing 1d6 damage 97% percent of the time, but you get a full extra die the remaining 3%, bringing the damage to 2d6. So it could be possible to score 12 damage in a single strike, but extremely unlikely (0.03 /36 = 0.000833).

Comment

• Gockel
          Apprentice
          • Aug 2010

hm, thanks for all your replies...

i guess i should've realized myself that it has percentile damage calculation, as in my character sheet it's even stated that i have a melee deadliness of 204% (wielding the rapier)... kind of obvious
          at least this clears up how i can do a maximum damage of 12. actually both maximum damage values make sense now. with the lance i have a deadliness of 163% which means maximum damage is 16+ 10.08 = 26.08... seems fine...

but the minimum values don't make sense at all, they're both ridiculously high...

well, i guess i'll pay the dear weapons master a few more visits from now on... at least i'd like to find out if his minimum values are really wrong or if they're calculated in a copletely different manner...
          thanks so far!!!

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍