X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cazliostro
    Rookie
    • Sep 2010

Z / Z+ with tiles?

Hey, fellow delvers. Long time lurker, first time poster. Been playing vanilla and variants for years on and off. I really like Z / Z+ the best, I hope whoever is working on the current iteration will continue to do so. I often wish the "Dwarf Fortress" guys would take a crack at it. Z / Z+ is, for my money, not only the best of the *bands but also simply one of the best PC games available.

So, anyway. I'm ok with ASCII, I grew up with an Apple II+ and all that, but I like playing vanilla with the big, cartoony tiles (32x32 Gervais. I think?) - I tried to load these up on Z / Z+ a couple of times but the results are less than stellar... lots of confusion and missing bits & all very chaotic looking.

I was wondering if anyone out there has figured out a way to use tiles with these variants? Is there some trick to making your own tiles and meshing them with the characters from the ASCII code, if it comes to that?
  • konijn_
    Hellband maintainer
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Cazliostro
    Hey, fellow delvers. Long time lurker, first time poster. Been playing vanilla and variants for years on and off. I really like Z / Z+ the best, I hope whoever is working on the current iteration will continue to do so. I often wish the "Dwarf Fortress" guys would take a crack at it. Z / Z+ is, for my money, not only the best of the *bands but also simply one of the best PC games available.

So, anyway. I'm ok with ASCII, I grew up with an Apple II+ and all that, but I like playing vanilla with the big, cartoony tiles (32x32 Gervais. I think?) - I tried to load these up on Z / Z+ a couple of times but the results are less than stellar... lots of confusion and missing bits & all very chaotic looking.

I was wondering if anyone out there has figured out a way to use tiles with these variants? Is there some trick to making your own tiles and meshing them with the characters from the ASCII code, if it comes to that?
    Greetings, if you download the latest Hellband ( distant descendant of Z ) it should have that trick. It also has all the spell realms of Z ( some renamed and adjusted to the theme ) and then some.

Let me know if that works for you.

T.
    * Are you ready for something else ? Hellband 0.8.8 is out! *

Comment

• Jungle_Boy
      Swordsman
      • Nov 2008

Also if you check buzzkill's signature he has a link to several pref files and tiles for various *bands
      My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138

Comment

• buzzkill
        Prophet
        • May 2008

Originally posted by Jungle_Boy
        Also if you check buzzkill's signature he has a link to several pref files and tiles for various *bands
        Indeed. Check the link in my sig, navigate your way to the Z+ folder, and grab the files (sorry no Z, never looked into it). Download the files, put them in the appropriate folders and you're set. Check this thread for more info. While far from complete the early levels look *very good*, then as you progress you'll start to notice omissions represented by ASCII. Give it a spin, and by all means feel free to create tiles for anything that's missing .
        www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
        My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Cazliostro
          Rookie
          • Sep 2010

@buzzkill - thanks very much! I found your tileset & tried it out - it looks very cool! Nice work ~ checking that other thread I had the same problem with the .prf file copying over as text but fixed it by copying & pasting the text into the original file, so the bushes don't look like helmets!

you are a scholar and a gentlemen, sir.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍