X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Svladd Cjelik
    Scout
    • Mar 2008

Back to Z once again :)

So I guess it's that time of the year again ...or something and I have returned to Zangband for yet another shot at the title.

I am playing 2.7.4c for the simple reason that I cannot find any documentation on 2.7.4-pre1 version. Would someone care to elaborate for me please? Where did it come from and so on...

Anywho, I'll fill you in on my progress so far.

I am playing a Spectre Mage by the name of Tleilex -I have always enjoyed Mages in Z, kinda challenging to get off the ground. My spell realms are Death and Sorcery which should give me a good mix of utility and fire-power.

I am a deep diver, so at level 7 I am skulking about at 750 feet, which is the deepest the starting dungeon will go. I always start of Z this way ...searching either for floating eyes (being the only mob that I can safely melee) and downward staircases. It has only taken about 4 or 5 restarts to get this far which is good for me as a Mage with these realms has no offensive spells, and at most 2 casts of Malediction at level 3.

I have my little heart set upon finding a ring of the cat+2 or so which will greatly help me skulk about and choose my battles, and will be especially helpful should I have to teleport or phase door into an unknown area.

One thing that is new to me with the Spectre race, is the vulnerability to Frost. Is this counterable with resistance? Can anyone tell me how they stack?

One further question is on the ring of fate. I have read on the forum that they are OP in Z. I did not want to necro an old thread just to sate my curiosity, so could someone please shed some light for me -What exacatly, do they do?

Thanks for reading, I shall endevour to keep you updated on my progress.

DIRK GENTLY'S HOLISTIC DETECTIVE AGENCY

We solve the whole crime. We find the whole person.
  • RogerN
    Swordsman
    • Jul 2008

I am playing 2.7.4c for the simple reason that I cannot find any documentation on 2.7.4-pre1 version. Would someone care to elaborate for me please? Where did it come from and so on...
    Are you aware of Mangojuice's Z+Angband? He expanded the most recent version of ZAngband considerably since official development stopped.

One thing that is new to me with the Spectre race, is the vulnerability to Frost. Is this counterable with resistance? Can anyone tell me how they stack?
    I don't remember much about Spectres, but I do remember that you can have both resistance and vulnerability to an element at the same time. The net result is that you take 2/3rds damage - which is still very dangerous, especially for a Spectre with poor HP.

One further question is on the ring of fate. I have read on the forum that they are OP in Z. I did not want to necro an old thread just to sate my curiosity, so could someone please shed some light for me -What exacatly, do they do?
    Rings of fate are a mixed blessing. You're more likely to find high-level items, but you're also more likely to encounter OOD monsters. Critical hits occur more frequently - both for you and your enemies.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎