X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NotMorgoth
    Adept
    • Feb 2008

Sangband Poison Resistance/Effects

I've always been a bit reckless about fighting Morgoth without a permanent source of rPoison, relying on temporary resistance potions/effects instead.

In Sangband, the main danger from poison is not the pure damage (which AFAIK is capped at 500,) but the possibility of being 'overcome by fumes' and knocked out, which can happen even with a single resistance.

So I'd like to know how much damage you actually have to take for this to be a risk; it's only ever happened to me against Ungoliant who is the biggest poison breather in the game, but I'd also be very cautious against Ancalagon, Glaurung and Sauron, who has a venom storm attack.

Can it also happen with a non-unique poison breather? I've fought plenty of Great Wyrms of Venom & Many Colours with just a single resist and never had it happen, but have I just been lucky? And what about non-breath poison attacks like venom storm or poisonous bites?

Edit: I guess with temporary resistance there's also the chance of 'you feel less resistant to poison. It breathes gas. You die.'
    Last edited by NotMorgoth; September 5, 2010, 10:29.
  • camlost
    Sangband 1.x Maintainer
    • Apr 2007

I'm pretty sure Leon doesn't like explicit spoilers, so here's my answer:

Becoming overwhelmed by poison fumes can happen to the strongest, best protected adventurer, though it is only inflicted by the most foul of creatures, be they high or low. It takes an iron will to keep your head amonst such fumes.
    a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
    3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}

Comment

• Magnate
      Angband Devteam member
      • May 2007

Originally posted by camlost
      I'm pretty sure Leon doesn't like explicit spoilers, so here's my answer:

Becoming overwhelmed by poison fumes can happen to the strongest, best protected adventurer, though it is only inflicted by the most foul of creatures, be they high or low. It takes an iron will to keep your head amonst such fumes.
      Congratulations on the convincingly Leon-esque response!
      "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎