Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LostTemplar
    Knight
    • Aug 2009

When I played UN it seemed to me that it is too hard in the beginning and way too easy in late game.

Comment

• andrewdoull
      Unangband maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by LostTemplar
      When I played UN it seemed to me that it is too hard in the beginning and way too easy in late game.
      I'm curious as to how long ago and what class?

Andrew
      The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
      In UnAngband, the level dives you.
      ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
      Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com

Comment

• LostTemplar
        Knight
        • Aug 2009

It was 0.63 version, I played priests, mages and warriors. shallow depth monsters have various nasty attacks, all this conf, disen, etc. breathers on dlvl about 10 make start somewhat hard unlike V or FA. It maybe is not really hard but it seems hard, too many different monsters, dont even know what to avoid, but later all this imba spells, archery and tons of HP make game too easy, and bags contribute too, no inventory management at all, just carry everything, also no scroll, potion destruction due to elemental attacks.

Comment

• andrewdoull
          Unangband maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by LostTemplar
          It was 0.63 version, I played priests, mages and warriors. shallow depth monsters have various nasty attacks, all this conf, disen, etc. breathers on dlvl about 10 make start somewhat hard unlike V or FA. It maybe is not really hard but it seems hard, too many different monsters dont even know what to avoid,
          The total number of different monster types is limited per level so that you don't run into too many at once. That's the best approach I've been able to take while keeping the overall variety high.

but later all this imba spells, archery and tons of HP make game too easy, and bags contribute too, no inventory management at all, just carry everything, also no scroll, potion destruction due to elemental attacks.
          I won't disagree with you because I don't usually make it deep, but the feedback I've had from the ladder is that the game remains hard even with 2000+ hp characters. I hope this means hard/interesting but I'm always worried it starts to get hard/tedious.

The magical bags are a way of balancing inventory slots against spell books. This was directly inspired by the way that Hengband handles wands - as it encourages you to experiment with more item types. I've made them make their contents immune to elemental attacks to allow a massive hack to the internal data structure that stores the contents.

I wonder if leaving their contents vulnerable to damage, plus items not going into magical bags if you've made the item immune to damage by enchanting it might be the other approach to take here. It seems less consistent - I mean they are *magical* bags, but it might be better from a game balance point of view. (The trade off being of elemental resistance vs. higher carrying capacity).

Alternately limiting the different types of contents of bags to maybe 10 slots instead of up to 22 slots per bag either by having a hard limit ("The bag has no more pockets.") or dividing up the bag types to be more granular.

Any other suggestions are welcome...

Andrew

Comment

• d_m
            Angband Devteam member
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by andrewdoull
            The magical bags are a way of balancing inventory slots against spell books. This was directly inspired by the way that Hengband handles wands - as it encourages you to experiment with more item types. I've made them make their contents immune to elemental attacks to allow a massive hack to the internal data structure that stores the contents.

I wonder if leaving their contents vulnerable to damage, plus items not going into magical bags if you've made the item immune to damage by enchanting it might be the other approach to take here. It seems less consistent - I mean they are *magical* bags, but it might be better from a game balance point of view. (The trade off being of elemental resistance vs. higher carrying capacity).
            I could imagine making bags somewhat vulnerable to fire... if the bag is destroyed, its contents spill into the inventory (and presumably onto the ground once that fills up). This might make them too annoying... maybe the odds of it happening should be smaller, I don't know.

Disclaimer: I have been trying to figure out how to do well in Un with a Maia druid for about a year, so I'm not exactly an "advanced" player
            linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• Vario
              Rookie
              • Jun 2010

Help!!

Help im in 1 hit point, im in corridor at 5th level of maggots basement and my north/south sides are occupied by enemy mages, im blind...

Is there possible to ask divine help or am i finished?

EDIT:
              LOL

Before i went 1hp i tried few times phase door away from situation - without success. Then mages put me back blind or confused... and finally to dead. Ok now i realise my unknown tabard +3+3 was all the time tabard of stability - preventing ability to teleport... I should have thought something is wrong since my teleport failed...
              Last edited by Vario; June 24, 2010, 19:12.

Comment

• Adley
                Adept
                • Feb 2010

hijacking the thread :
                New to unangband, i REALLY like the... incredible amount of different rooms, terrains ect. Variant which is really excellent to play and who probably has lots of potential.
                Now for my question : In (C) screen, there is a number for blows, and, behind n/turn, there is a multiplier. what is that multiplier?
                Originally posted by Derakon
                Sadly, every character ever created in Angband was given a magnifying glass by their eccentric uncle for their fifth birthday...

Comment

• brokenstep
                  Rookie
                  • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Adley
                  hijacking the thread :
                  New to unangband, i REALLY like the... incredible amount of different rooms, terrains ect. Variant which is really excellent to play and who probably has lots of potential.
                  Now for my question : In (C) screen, there is a number for blows, and, behind n/turn, there is a multiplier. what is that multiplier?
                  I bleive that is the Charge multiplier when you move into an enemy after having moved a space or more. You get less blows but the first blow's damage is multiplied by that multiplier.
                  Last edited by brokenstep; October 21, 2010, 22:29.

Comment

• andrewdoull
                    Unangband maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by brokenstep
                    I bleive that is the Charge multiplier when you move into an enemy after having moved a space or more. You get less blows but the first blow's damage is multiplied by that multiplier.
                    You're on the money. Heavier weapons get a higher charge multiplier to compensate for lower blows multiplier, and the charge multiplier includes all the damage bonuses.

Andrew

Comment

• Adley
                      Adept
                      • Feb 2010

Thanks!
                      I think i'm beggining to understand the rune system.
                      My further questions will go in my ladder post as i find new things to ask, so here's a link : http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10705
                      Sadly, every character ever created in Angband was given a magnifying glass by their eccentric uncle for their fifth birthday...

Comment

• Adley
                        Adept
                        • Feb 2010

just ... wow to develloper : The mice don't want you to leave Oo

Comment

• Adley
                          Adept
                          • Feb 2010

I just found nowhere town.... in redhorn pass. it says there's a bug and that i should report it and collect reward in store. there's also a way to angband, which i'm not ready to take. The game bugs when i enter the store. I'm therefore going to ignore it... but make a copy savefile.

Edit : ignore that. was able to come back to Rivendell through Angmar.

Comment

• andrewdoull
                            Unangband maintainer
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Adley
                            I just found nowhere town.... in redhorn pass. it says there's a bug and that i should report it and collect reward in store. there's also a way to angband, which i'm not ready to take. The game bugs when i enter the store. I'm therefore going to ignore it... but make a copy savefile.

Edit : ignore that. was able to come back to Rivendell through Angmar.
                            Based on your comments on the ladder, I'm taking this was an old 0.6.3 bug...

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍