X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Svladd Cjelik
    Scout
    • Mar 2008

Zangband

Been playing for 9 years now, and still have yet to win.

Just thought I'd share.

X
    DIRK GENTLY'S HOLISTIC DETECTIVE AGENCY

We solve the whole crime. We find the whole person.
  • kurie
    Scout
    • Feb 2010

Beastman Chaos Warrior is my personal favorite combination. And yes, Zangband is brutal.

Comment

• ThunderToads
      Scout
      • Jun 2008

I've played Zangband for ages too, probably around 10 years on and off. I'm currently on the latest Z+Angband incarnation.

The furthest I got on old-school Zangband was around DL 95 with a Dark Elf Mage using Chaos and Sorcery. The level quest was to kill the Unicorn of Order but I just couldn't make enough headway against it. Angel-spam + time biting overwhelmed me before I could Doombolt the Unicorn to death. I never actually died but I'd just have to teleport level out of every battle in the end.

Comment

• Pondlife
        Apprentice
        • Mar 2010

I've got fond memories of Zangband, and like the OP I never won although I did get quite deep a few times.

For me, Zangband reached a peak around 2.4 when it had the fixed quests. Does anyone remember those? Things like Orc Camp, Sewer Quest and Haunted House. That must have been about ten years ago now. The fixed quests got removed after 2.4, and I don't think they ever came back which was a shame.
        Playing roguelikes on and off since 1984.
        rogue, hack, moria, nethack, angband & zangband.

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

I remember the fixed quests well...in particular, I remember running the Vapor quest over and over again for easy experience and gear.

I lost interest in Zangband once the fixed towns went away. Finding my way through a completely random wilderness didn't really strike my fancy.

Comment

• APWhite
            Adept
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
            I remember the fixed quests well...in particular, I remember running the Vapor quest over and over again for easy experience and gear.

I lost interest in Zangband once the fixed towns went away. Finding my way through a completely random wilderness didn't really strike my fancy.
            Could one farm the Vapor Quest with the same character? I thought the quest entrance vanished after exiting the quest. Or were you saying that you enjoyed the quest on each of your characters?
            St George Chiropractor
            Angband Borg Homepage

Comment

• Derakon
              Prophet
              • Dec 2009

There was a way to repeat the quests over and over again. I don't remember if it was removed before the quests went away or not, but I definitely remember posting a character dump of a character who had made it to the mid-30's character-level-wise doing nothing but the fixed town quests -- never having entered the dungeon.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎