• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TJA
    Adept
    • Aug 2007

Compiling ToME

As ToME is an Angband variant, i repeat this here:

If can be QUITE difficult to compile ToME under Linux!
    Worst thing is, that you need "SDL" now - but what version and which parts or additional libraries is NOT explained - at least not obviously!

For others with the same problem:

You need to download more than SDL-1.2.10 !
    You cannot use SDL-1.2.12 !

I downloaded, compiled and install the following till i was able to compile ToME at all!

SDL-1.2.10.tar.gz

SDL_image-1.2.6.tar.gz
    SDL_mixer-1.2.8.tar.gz
    SDL_net-1.2.7.tar.gz
    SDL_ttf-2.0.9.tar.gz

I´m not sure if ALL are needed ... most are.

Still, that did not work, as the program wants to include a "rotozoom.h", which is defined on NONE of the above - i just commended those lines out and at least it compiled and now runs!

Still, this is quite a bad installation - no documentation that i could find [...]
  • pav
    Administrator
    • Apr 2007

Come on, it's not that hard. First, oddly, my favourite distro's ToME package says nothing about SDL, it satisfies itself with plain X. Second, SDL_rotozoom.h header comes with sdl-gfx package.
    See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• TJA
      Adept
      • Aug 2007

I suppose, you are using version 2.3.4?
      It does not use SDL and compiles fine - only with some warnings

I tried version 300alpha17, the latest, and it now depends on lots of SDL stuff without explaining which and what versions ...
      Deducing which libraries may be needed from error messages about missing header-files was not realy funny and sure beyond basic compile knowledge.

I repeated everything and now have the definite list of requirements

SDL-1.2.10
      SDL_mixer-1.2.8
      SDL_net-1.2.7
      SDL_ttf-2.0.9
      SDL_image-1.2.6
      SDL_gfx-2.0.16

Thanx for the gfx-hint!

Comment

• pav
        Administrator
        • Apr 2007

Of course I tried 2.3.4, it's the latest and greatest.

Why do you think there is a word alpha in the 300alpha17? It's from programmers for the programmers. The game is unplayable and unfinished, anyway. But as you managed to get it compiled, try out the Bone to be Wild minigame, it's quite a fun. I never got past third floor in it.. I suck
        See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• takkaria
          Veteran
          • Apr 2007

Please report ToME bugs on the ToME forum, or on their bugtracker. I don't believe ToME people monitor this forum.
          takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• shadus
            Rookie
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by TJA
            As ToME is an Angband variant, ...<SNIP>...
            Reading through the thread you're using the 3.x Alpha's... I wouldn't suggest it, a beta is arguably consumer test ready, an alpha isn't. Not even close. This is especially true of the tome 3 alphas. Even if you got it compiled and playable, there are horrible game breaking bugs, it is not meant for end users.

I would suggest checking out the tome wiki if you need help getting it compiled, generally thats the most up to date source of documentation available for tome these days.

Comment

• DarkGod
              T.o.M.E. maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Yes indeed, 300 is in alpha, no care things like installation manuals yet.
              When we get to beta there should be an install file for the source distribution listing the dependencies (which are all SDL stuff).

And no we do not usualy read this forum to hunt for bug reports

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍