X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vulpes
    Rookie
    • Mar 2024

Non-live variant appreciation thread

I've been playing Ironband again recently, have a decent character finally who'll find her way on the ladder as soon as soon as she dies (or wins but I have no illusions on that front). It really is an absolutely amazing variant, the open-ended character development based on whatever you find is huge fun. Antoine, you did an amazing job.

Do any of you have favorite variants not available through live that you'd like to shout out? There's some excellent work out there that sort of risks falling by the wayside.

NOTE: This is not a thread for collecting requests for inclusion of variants in live. As far as Iron goes, Gwarl already tried to get NPP and variants based on it to work years ago, and I don't want good time to be thrown after bad.
  • davidk64
    Rookie
    • Jul 2009

Inspired by this thread I sought out Ironband to give it a try. This is how I obtained it without having to download the 7Gb collection.
    1. Roguelike Mega Collection 2015. Over 700 free roguelikes bundled together in a torrent. : foamed : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
    2. Click on "Show All" in Download Options area
    3. Click on "(View Contents)"
    4. Scroll down till you see Ironband_Dec2012.zip
    My first character died on level 2 to a Black Lotus flower. I'm not sure why as the monster.txt entry says it does 0 damage. Maybe that is melee damage and the damage came from being paralyzed by it? I was a bit distracted investigating the absence of a Gervais tile assignment. In the preferences there is a hashed-out entry mapping the black lotus to a mold tile. So maybe they went with using the ascii character since there was no suitable tile. I wonder whether Buzzkill would add it to his UT32 tile set if I made one?
    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍