• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dark
    Apprentice
    • Apr 2009

knowing monster weaknesses?

Hi.

i'm putting it here just in case the process is different in Daaj as compared to vanilla, ---- though I admit this is mostly a mechanics question.

In my last game, I picked up a staff with a venom brand, the trouble was, I had know idea which monsters were weak to venom. I carried the staff around and clobbered things with it for a few levels, --- but when I came across a long dagger of *demon slaying* which was infinitely better I switched, ---- though kept that staff with me just in case.

Is there a way of knowing what elements monsters are weak to? will it eventually just turn up on the monster memory if I fight enough of that type of monster, or do I have to specifically run around trying every single element on every single monster to get a result.

The only one I've found thus far is that orcs and goblins are light sensative, ---- though that didn't really require too much working out.

Obviously though, this will be turning up more and more as I go deeper, so I would like to know.

I'd rather find out for myself if you eventually do find out via monster familiarity, --- but if it requires multiple element blasting I'm not quite as certain.
  • will_asher
    DaJAngband Maintainer
    • Apr 2007

You don't learn a monster's resistance until you've tried that type of attack against the monster. What's more, it never lists when a monster is not resistant to something so even if you attack a non-acid resistant monster with an acid-brand, there won't be anything in the monster memory which says it isn't acid resistant.

In most cases a branded staff will be better than a slay ego (except maybe against the monster it slays), but more monsters are resistant to venom than most brands.
    Will_Asher
    aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
    http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• zaimoni
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

For normal brands (including venom and the elemental brands), the default is vulnerable; the monster memory records whether the brand has been tried and found ineffective.

Light and Stone-to-mud are presumed not-vulnerable; the monster memory records if the attack has been tried and the monster found vulnerable. The same holds for slay race brands. (For the races, killing one is sufficient to tell you the race.)
      Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
      Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
      Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

• Dark
        Apprentice
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by zaimoni
        For normal brands (including venom and the elemental brands), the default is vulnerable; the monster memory records whether the brand has been tried and found ineffective.

Light and Stone-to-mud are presumed not-vulnerable; the monster memory records if the attack has been tried and the monster found vulnerable. The same holds for slay race brands. (For the races, killing one is sufficient to tell you the race.)
        Ah, I assumed the default for elemental weaknesses for monsters to be resistant unless the game specifically said so, and the description on brands listed "damage to normal monsters" vs "monsters weak against the element"

Though sinse this is the way that the player works, ---- Ie, vulnerable unless resistant it does make sense.

I was also expecting some kind of elemental damage listing, ---- as when you get hit with an elemental touch attack like a blue jelly, or when using a staff of zapping.

In this case, the brand was indeed better than the slay demon, ---- though not against a resistant enemy.

If you don't mind one other mechanics question, ---- one which is a litle Ot but well, ---- where do I find resitances against confusion, blinding or sleep?

these seem much more common than elemental attacks, yet I've never seen any resistant armour or potions, ---- unless one of the standard effects such as boldness or heroism can help against them.

Appologies for the extra questions, but the more I play the game, the more interesting things get, ---- and the further I get as well!

Comment

• will_asher
          DaJAngband Maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Dark
          I was also expecting some kind of elemental damage listing, ---- as when you get hit with an elemental touch attack like a blue jelly, or when using a staff of zapping.
          Damage for monster melee attacks do appear in the monster memory after you've killed several of them. In the latest releast of DaJAngband, probing will reveal melee damage also.
          Staffs of zapping do very little damage. They're mainly useful against breeders or groups of weak monsters.

--- where do I find resitances against confusion, blinding or sleep?
          You usually don't find confusion resistance or blindness resistance until at least dl30 or so, usually from an artifact or ego with a random resistance.
          Alchemy realm casters (archer, thief and alchemist) have a spell which gives temporary confusion resistance.

Free action gives sleep resistance and is much easier to find.

these seem much more common than elemental attacks, yet I've never seen any resistant armour or potions, ---- unless one of the standard effects such as boldness or heroism can help against them.
          Cure critical wounds cures confusion and blindness. That's the most common defense.
          If monsters blind and/or confuse you too often, just avoid them. Just like in vanilla, there are a lot of monsters that are better to avoid than to fight until you find those resistances.
          Will_Asher
          aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
          http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Dark
            Apprentice
            • Apr 2009

Thanks, I didn't know ccw's also cured confusion and blindness, ---- though as I like to melee people blindness isn't quite as bad as confusion provided I'm close enough).

I'm currently on dlvl 22, ---- with a warrior for a change, and I have picked up a ring of free action which has certainly helped in terms of sleep.

When i mentioned the staff of zappin, I was only referring to the description, sinse I expected using an elementally branded weapon on an enemy would lead to a description like "The orc is covered in frost" to indicate elemental use, ----- obviously I was mistaken though.

If you wouldn't mind one other question, what are dust bunnies for? I've picked up two of them, and I can't work out what I'm supposed to do with them. Do they give extra luck or other bonuses? or are they just somethingn to collect. They don't seem to come up too often so I'd assume they have some kind of purpose, but I've not been able to determine what they do.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎