Z+Angband: I'm confused, does it have multiple dungeons?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlackFlame
    Rookie
    • Sep 2009

Z+Angband: I'm confused, does it have multiple dungeons?

I'm trying out Z+Angband, and I'm finding dungeon entrances in other cities besides my starting one. Are these merely alternate entrances to the main dungeon, or are they (smaller) separate dungeons? Or is the dungeon in my starting town not even the main dungeon itself?
  • RogerN
    Swordsman
    • Jul 2008

Z+ has themed dungeons of varying depths. When you examine the dungeon entrance from the map, you can see what kind of dungeon it is: temple, city, mine, cavern, etc...

You will find different monsters and a different distribution of items depending on the dungeon type. Planar dungeons, for example, are filled with hounds and other elemental monsters. Also, easier dungeons (mines, sewers) tend to start at a shallow depth (level 1 to level 20) and do not go all the way down.

You can win the game from any of the deep dungeons (pits, hell dungeons, etc...). Also, there's an option to make all dungeons bottomless, which will allow you to win the game from any dungeon.

EDIT: All dungeons found in towns are sewers. They are very shallow and very boring. They go down to about level 15. Hopefully you'll graduate to better dungeons quickly, as the sewers have awful loot.

Comment

• BlackFlame
      Rookie
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by RogerN
      Z+ has themed dungeons of varying depths. When you examine the dungeon entrance from the map, you can see what kind of dungeon it is: temple, city, mine, cavern, etc...
      Can you elaborate here? When I look at the stairs with l, it just says they're stairs down. Nothing about a dungeon theme. And if you mean pressing * on the big map or something, that just says "City Name -- Stairs", then lists the shops. So I'm a bit confused as to how I'm meant to be checking this.

Comment

• Mangojuice
        Z+Angband Maintainer
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by BlackFlame
        Can you elaborate here? When I look at the stairs with l, it just says they're stairs down. Nothing about a dungeon theme. And if you mean pressing * on the big map or something, that just says "City Name -- Stairs", then lists the shops. So I'm a bit confused as to how I'm meant to be checking this.
        One is by going to the "dungeon info" screen under the knowledge menu ('~'), then you can see the type. Also, each different dungeon has a different look and feel so you can tell by going inside. If you get near a dungeon in the wilderness, check your 'M'ap right away to see how deep it is. Dungeon entrances in the wilderness range from starting at level 1 to starting as high as level 80 or more. The number you see on the map is approximately 1/10 the starting level of the dungeon. You can also navigate around the 'M'ap screen and when the cursor is over a dungeon it'll tell you what it is.

All the dungeons in towns are the same type (sewer) and they all start at level 1.
        -----------------------------------------
        Z+Angband: A Zangband evolution
        http://tinyurl.com/5pq2bd

Comment

• BlackFlame
          Rookie
          • Sep 2009

Ahh. I think I'm starting to get the idea now. So I guess a game would tend to go sewers for a few levels -> find a dungeon you can handle and kill things until it's easy -> repeat step 2 -> find a deep enough dungeon to win from when you think you can?

Comment

• buzzkill
            Prophet
            • May 2008

Undertaking quests (available at the town hall and other places), even ones that at first glance to appear be too hard, is the way to start out a character. Quest rewards will typically level you very quickly, with stat gain and a GP reward also.
            www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
            My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍