X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PaulBlay
    Knight
    • Jan 2009

Making ancient dragons even larger.

An idea just occurred to me while working on JBand. Fonts that support Japanese have the set of standard alphanumeric and punctuation characters repeated with twice the width. It suddenly occurred to me that you could use this to have ancient dragons and other large monsters take up two grids instead of one!

Apart from making them look scarier, they would be unable to follow you down narrow north-south tunnels.

Code:
    #######
    #    @
    # #####
    # #
    # #####
    #[SIZE="5"]D[/SIZE] - [SIZE="1"]Damn you Bilbo![/SIZE]
    #
    Our intrepid hero makes it round the corner and is safe, although the outraged roars of Smaug shake the dungeon behind him.
    Last edited by PaulBlay; May 27, 2009, 15:20.
    Currently turning (Angband) Japanese.
  • Donald Jonker
    Knight
    • Jun 2008

This would even be in theme.. imagine them breathing down the corridor after you. Give them some tunneling ability as well. Very interesting if done thoughtfully.

POWDER has some monsters like this, including the final boss. It doesn't break the game, though it probably breaks the monster.
    Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
    -Mercury Rev

Comment

• Nolendil
      Adept
      • May 2007

It reminds me of this: http://angband.oook.cz/comic/strip.php?view=70
      A(3.2.0) C "Angdiira II" DP L:36 DL:44(2200') A+ R+ Sp w:Whip of Westernesse(+10,+10)(+2)
      A Mx H- D c-- f- PV+ s- d P++ M+
      C- S-- I So B++ ac GHB- SQ+ RQ++ V+

Comment

• pndrev
        Scout
        • Sep 2008

Multi-tile monsters in general would be a nice addtion - it always bugged me that a kobold has the same (ingame) size as a x-headed hydra or ancient dragon...

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎