X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sky
    Veteran
    • Oct 2016

please explain Recharging stacks

i've always assumed, given that a wand is best recharged when it has 0 charges left (to lower the chance of explosion), that if you had a stack of wands, you had to drain ALL of the stack (and then patiently lay the wands one by one on the floor .. etc) before recharging.

I did read - when discussing Morgoth fight and using wands of Annihilation - people saying they use Greater Recharging "on the stack" but i always thought it meant to do the above "drain all, then separate, then recharge" procedure. Not something you would do in combat, for instance.

But now i just had a crazy thought and used a scroll of recharging on a stack of 6 wands of TO, which had a total of 12 charges, and .. no explosion. I now have 19 charges.

So, how does it work? Safety in numbers? Are the max numb of charges spread out evenly amoung the wands, lowest first?
    "i can take this dracolich"
  • wobbly
    Prophet
    • May 2012

The odds of explosion for 6 with 12 are the same as 1 wand with 2. Note if you wanted to recharge multiple times at once its still better to seperate, as 2 recharges on single wands is recharging wands with 2 charges. Where as in your example the 2nd recharge on a stack with 19 charges would be a wand with 3 charges.

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

What he said. But when fighting M, you just recharge once, then blast a few times, phase away, and repeat. You certainly dont want to stack recharges, and you dont dare leave wands on the floor for mana storm to destroy.

Comment

• bughunter
        Adept
        • Nov 2019

Interesting.

I've been recharging stacks before fights, not when they get to zero charges, so I don't have to spend a turn reloading during the fight.

As soon as the fail probability gets low enough for me to tolerate (<5% generally, less if there's only one wand/stave) then I'll recharge.

But then, I'm a relative noob.

Can someone link to the old thread on this topic?

Comment

• archolewa
          Swordsman
          • Feb 2019

Personally I so the same thing Bughunter. I find that the failure chance doesnt change enough in the drop from almost empty to empty to matter.

The only wands or staves I wait until empty to recharge are utility ones, since those are used outside of combat, and I want to get every last possible use out of them before they blow up.

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

@Bughunter.
            Sure, before the fight, recharging empty (0 or 1 charge) wands individually is worthwhile. I do it with TO wands regularly, and annihilation just before fighting M.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎