• Dec 2019

Display exact monster speed

Hi! in another thread i've been told that monster speed is like this:

"slowly" means -10
    "fairly quickly" means +5
    "quickly" means +10
    "very quickly" means +20
    "incredibly quickly" means +30

but its there a way to see the exact speed a monster has, like +5, +10, etc? and not the description ones? or is the multiplier speed option the only way to see exactly the speed difference with the player? I think a third "speed showing" option that displays exact values would be nice, so you can see exactly the difference, if you have +10 and a monster has +20 you know its 2x your speed, etc
  • DavidMedley
    Veteran
    • Oct 2019

I don't think +20 is double the speed of +10. Why don't you like the multiplier option?
    Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• lea2501
      Apprentice
      • Dec 2019

Originally posted by DavidMedley
      I don't think +20 is double the speed of +10. Why don't you like the multiplier option?
      no, it's not that i don't like it, but that it's difficult to understand what its my exact speed, for example, right now im a CL 26 warrior and using the "show speed as multiplier" option y see that im "Fast (1.6x)", and one monster in sight its "at 3.0x normal speed, which is 1.87x your speed" but at the same time, i have a "a Ring of Speed <+4>" in my left hand... But if i disable that option, i am "Fast (+6)" and the same monster i see "very quickly" instead of "+N" which is more accurate to compare with myself.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
        Veteran
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by lea2501
        no, it's not that i don't like it, but that it's difficult to understand what its my exact speed, for example, right now im a CL 26 warrior and using the "show speed as multiplier" option y see that im "Fast (1.6x)", and one monster in sight its "at 3.0x normal speed, which is 1.87x your speed" but at the same time, i have a "a Ring of Speed <+4>" in my left hand... But if i disable that option, i am "Fast (+6)" and the same monster i see "very quickly" instead of "+N" which is more accurate to compare with myself.
        How ever is comparing "fast" to "very quickly" MORE accurate than the precise "1.87x your speed"?
        “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
        ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• lea2501
          Apprentice
          • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
          How ever is comparing "fast" to "very quickly" MORE accurate than the precise "1.87x your speed"?
          no, and thats the point im trying to express lol, i would prefer to have a "a Ring of Speed <+4>" in my left hand.. "Fast (+6)" for myself, and Recall a monster and see "It moves at +10 speed"... instead of "very quickly" :P or something like that

Because also 2X, 3X etc, for me at least, its not that clear i think, if 110 is 1x... 2x is 220? i know thats not the case, but its confusing, at least for me :P its that, or maybe having a "a Ring of Speed <1.5X>" which i prefer and not a mix of the two options.

Comment

• Sideways
            Knight
            • Nov 2008

no, and thats the point im trying to express lol, i would prefer to have a "a Ring of Speed <+4>" in my left hand.. "Fast (+6)" for myself, and Recall a monster and see "It moves at +10 speed"... instead of "very quickly" :P or something like that

Because also 2X, 3X etc, for me at least, its not that clear i think, if 110 is 1x... 2x is 220? i know thats not the case, but its confusing, at least for me :P its that, or maybe having a "a Ring of Speed <1.5X>" which i prefer and not a mix of the two options.
            There is no such thing as a "Ring of Speed <1.5x>"; that is not how speed works.

Unfortunately it is very hard to display speeds in a way that is clear to non-experts, because the multipliers are affected by items/haste in a way that is unintuitive unless you also understand the raw speeds, but at the same time the practical effects of the raw speeds are unintuitive unless you also understand the multipliers.

I won't say that displaying monster speeds as +10, +20 etc. would be bad; on the contrary, it would be very natural and I like it. It would not, however, in any way help a non-expert who is confused about how speeds work; to understand speeds you do need to understand both the raw speed and the multiplier. Alas, displaying both at the same time everywhere would be very clunky; the character sheet already does show both, but the sidebar does not have enough room; and monster lore descriptions are already ugly either way, so using both would double the ugly.
            Last edited by Sideways; July 17, 2020, 07:22.
            The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
              Veteran
              • Jan 2009

That doesn't make any sense to me at all. The Ring provides a fixed amount of speed, not an amount of speed that varies based on the monster you're facing. If you use the "Show Effective Speed as Multiplier" option in the User Options, speed seems quite clear to me. As your speed items increase, you will readily see that +10, +20, +30, +40 stacked speed items and temporary haste provides diminishing returns and you can also easily compare your speed to that of any monster you face. You don't need to ponder the mechanics of 110, 220, etc.
              “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
              ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• lea2501
                Apprentice
                • Dec 2019

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                That doesn't make any sense to me at all. The Ring provides a fixed amount of speed, not an amount of speed that varies based on the monster you're facing. If you use the "Show Effective Speed as Multiplier" option in the User Options, speed seems quite clear to me. As your speed items increase, you will readily see that +10, +20, +30, +40 stacked speed items and temporary haste provides diminishing returns and you can also easily compare your speed to that of any monster you face. You don't need to ponder the mechanics of 110, 220, etc.
                Yes i now understand that, but i think that the conclusion is that the monster recall screen could benefit to showing the "+N" value of the monsters instead/along the description like "Very quickly"

Comment

• Werbaer
                  Adept
                  • Aug 2014

Hi! in another thread i've been told that monster speed is like this:
                  "quickly" means +10
                  "quickly" means "+10 if unique; otherwise usually +10, sometimes +9 or +11. Faster if hasted, slower if slowed."

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎