Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diego Gonzalez
    Adept
    • May 2007

...at the same time - when curse will be lifted - this bonus will disappear too. Could be fun sometimes..
    I think that a small chance to preserve the good bonus if the item is wielded could make things even more interesting

Comment

• Voovus
      Adept
      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by Nick
      It seems to me that it might be worth bringing the sticky curse back because the player's experience with it is going to be...
      I'm skeptical:
      (a) Getting stuck with a sticky curse is very dangerous mid-game onwards, so players would be encouraged to stick around small depths until they've identified this curse.
      (b) The whole problem can be circumvented by carrying around a stack of Remove Curse scrolls bought in town.

Please don't bring back scrolls of curse weapon/armo(u)r - effects that spoil the player's mood aren't good for the game.

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Nick
        This has just sunk in for me. It seems to me that it might be worth bringing the sticky curse back because the player's experience with it is going to be:
        1. At some point they will test-wield a sticky-cursed item, and need to wear it until the curse is removed (unless they have already ID'd the curse by scroll, spell or shop);
        2. After this it will occasionally turn up on items, and it becomes a choice as to whether to just wear the item (if it's good enough), try to uncurse it, or just ditch it.
        Does anyone think this is a major impediment to test-wielding? It seems no worse than, say, an early paralysis curse.
        When you wield a sticky-cursed item you lose the slot indefinitely. Losing an equipment slot can range from no big deal (e.g. stuck-on boots when you haven't found any good boots yet) to character-ruining (your melee weapon is now useless and you're reliant on melee damage for survival).

Having a sticky curse that you know about in advance and can make an informed decision about is one thing. But that first gotcha is going to be a royal pain.

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

The first gotcha can be removed trivially with a few scrolls from the store. It is likely to be a weak curse. Indeed, via the 'fragile' state, any cursed item can be removed, except possibly those with permanent curse. (Really shouldn't be able to destroy The One Ring without visiting Orodruin.)

Comment

• Thraalbee
            Knight
            • Sep 2010

Maybe always start with a sticky cursed "heirloom" you can't bear to put away?

Comment

• Adam
              Adept
              • Feb 2016

I would find it more interesting to see sticky curses on useful items. But making it clear to the player before equipping that the item has a sticky curse.
              Not just like the above mentioned Gorlim, but for example if you find Haradrim early but with a sticky curse, would you put it on? The list of the cursed artifacts could be also random, decided when @ starts the journey.
              I would also make artifacts immune to being destroyed via remove curse scrolls and also make these sticky curses being removable only via *remove curse*.

Comment

• tangar
                Veteran
                • Mar 2015

Just a note of update - recently I've added simple, but quite fun curse system addition to Tangaria:
                n the past we had classic roguelike 'sticky' curse system - when you wielded cursed item, you can not take it off anymore. It often leaded to the need to start over after you wield cursed item - which is … Continue reading →

- Disable dropping of common cursed items; you must uncurse or break them to get rid of them;
                - Minor cursed items can be dropped under the sunlight (Hey dol! Merry dol! Ring a dong dillo!);
                - One does not simply can destroy cursed items (throw away to get rid of them);

This system works well with Tangaria's dungeon bracket system ( https://tangaria.com/guide/dungeons/ ) which forbids to enter low level dungeon with powerful characters.. so in V this system won't work so well and need some rethinking maybe.
                https://tangaria.com - Angband multiplayer variant
                tangaria.com/variants - Angband variants table
                tangar.info - my website ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽
                youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎