X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ignatius
    Rookie
    • Nov 2008

The long lost Palantir of Westernesse

I've been playing angband for more then 10 years.
    Way back, in the days of ver 3.09 I was able to find the Palantir several times.
    This days, playing the 4.1 version, it seems that the Palantir is gone.
    I've checked the game data files, and it's still there.
    I've created a new character and tried the Debugger, and it seems that there are only 3 light artifacts.

What happened to the Palantir?
  • Sky
    Veteran
    • Oct 2016

it was too much fun
    "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

It is gone--it was too powerful. But the Arkenstone now has its activation, except it onpy senses objects rather than detecting them. But you really only need a few !Enlightenment potions to find enough gear to win the game.

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

There were originally only 3 light artifacts -- Phial, Star, and Arkenstone. They activated for light, light+map, and enlightenment respectively. When the Palantir was added, it took the Arkenstone's activation from it and the Arkenstone got (IIRC) light+map+detection, with way too long a recharge time to be useful. But the Palantir also got aggravation, which meant that unless you were willing to put up with aggravation, or were a priest, you didn't get access to repeatable Enlightenment. This was irritating to a number of the old guard, and is I think why the Palantir got rolled back.

Comment

• Sky
          Veteran
          • Oct 2016

one should also mention that Aggravation was veeeery different than it is today; from the moment you were in range, mobs would immediately wake and chase you.

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

@Sky--
            It was ideal for paladin. Stand in a safe hallway, and let them come to you. With excellent melee and near infinite heal, you could just mow them all down, teleporting those you didn't want to fight.

Comment

• Sky
              Veteran
              • Oct 2016

speaking of, i wonder if aggravation stacks, these days?
              if i run two items with aggravation, does the stealth penalty double?

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍