X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DudeMan
    Rookie
    • Jul 2019

Hello everybody and thank you!

Hi! I am DudeMan from Finland and have been playing Angband since the beginning. I actually started with Moria and moved to Angband as soon as it arrived. That is about 30 years of great experiences and I would really like to thank all the past and present developers! Your work is truly appreciated!

There was a long period of not really playing this game between 2007-2015. I had killed Morgoth many times when I was younger but I had used save scumming to get artifacts and to resurrect my hero. This started bothering me a few years ago and I decided to kill Morgoth without any save scumming. It took me six months and countless heroes until finally I was able to beat the game. It was a Dunadan Paladin that ended up finding the One ring and also randarts gave me a mace of destruction +12 +8, slay evil, +2 attack speed. Using to dam and to hit scrolls my mace became +15 +15 and it would do about 980 points of damage per turn to evil! In the end Morgoth was nearly a piece of cake! With this set of random artifacts I was able to win with every class except a mage. I havent played that much after 2016.

These latest changes got me back. I really like the new identify system. Huge vaults used to be a pain in the behind because one had to identify every weapon etc. one by one. Now it is much better!

This time I would like to win with a mage and win with standard artifacts.
  • Estie
    Veteran
    • Apr 2008

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Playing mage is more unforgiving - but also more rewarding once you adopt an exact playstyle, since they have a spell for almost everything. They cant heal and they are terrible at killing things, but other than that...everything. Good luck!

Comment

• DudeMan
      Rookie
      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Estie
      Hello and welcome to the forum!

Playing mage is more unforgiving - but also more rewarding once you adopt an exact playstyle, since they have a spell for almost everything. They cant heal and they are terrible at killing things, but other than that...everything. Good luck!
      Back in the day a mage was my favourite class as you had globe of invulnerability available. I think it made you immune to physical damage or maby even physical and magical damage. It did not matter how little damage you were dishing out because you would not be hurt.

I think I was able to kill Morgoth with just magic missile as I had cheated to get all the best artifacts including the one ring. It took quite a long time, but it was possible because of immunities and globe of invulnerability. Althought I might remember wrong. It was 20 years a ago and I am starting to remember my youth in a glorified way.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎