X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wobbly
    Prophet
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Derakon
    I don't object to C[L,S]W reducing stun timers, to be clear. I just don't really remember ever having been in a situation where I was stunned and didn't have CCW. But maybe I'm an outlier in that, or my memory is just letting me down again.
    I suspect people are just not noticing or not remembering. The chances of a gallant stunning are pretty low but you often end up fighting enough. Orc uniques & ogres, it's fairly common. With the early stuns a fighter can tank a couple of rounds on hps or step back a couple of times. I suspect some people will be surprised how often it really is.

Taking a look a 1d6 monster seems to stun around 1 in 100. Which is low but you're going to take that many hits eventually
    Last edited by wobbly; April 13, 2019, 07:07.

Comment

• Grotug
      Veteran
      • Nov 2013

I concur. I get stunned often enough in the early game and I play fast in the early game, too. I usually just run away from the orcs that are stunning me (it's usually orcs) as I don't have an appreciable amount of !CCW until the DL40s.
      Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• wobbly
        Prophet
        • May 2012

pulled this into coffeeband & updated on angband.live so I'll have a play & see what I think

Comment

• wobbly
          Prophet
          • May 2012

I'm enjoying this, it's quite fun & dramatic, though I don't know what the all maprot is evil crowd will think

Comment

• takkaria
            Veteran
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by wobbly
            I'm enjoying this, it's quite fun & dramatic, though I don't know what the all maprot is evil crowd will think
            I suspect it would still be a useful warning about stunning even if the sight radius didn't reduce as dramatically.
            takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• wobbly
              Prophet
              • May 2012

Originally posted by takkaria
              I suspect it would still be a useful warning about stunning even if the sight radius didn't reduce as dramatically.
              It needs to be knocked down several notches if you don't want this to completely take out ranged classes ability to fight plasma breathers.

Comment

• Adam
                Adept
                • Feb 2016

Originally posted by wobbly
                It needs to be knocked down several notches if you don't want this to completely take out ranged classes ability to fight plasma breathers.
                Aren't monsters visible if you have ESP? Same way like when @ is blinded.
                Anyway Waldern with his stunning spells becomes more dangerous (he doesn't even show up in ESP).

Comment

• wobbly
                  Prophet
                  • May 2012

Originally posted by Adam
                  Anyway Waldern with his stunning spells becomes more dangerous (he doesn't even show up in ESP).
                  Not sure haven't tried ESP, but in current form staff of detect evil isn't working outside a small radius.

Comment

• Derakon
                    Prophet
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Adam
                    The proposal as described was to block all vision, even magical vision, outside of the radius when stunned. I'll grant I wasn't thinking about sound/plasma breaths when I made the proposal. But I kind of like the idea of a monster that can become "invisible" by hitting you so hard you can't focus on it any more. It's a problem if it makes for unfun/impossible scenarios, but if it just makes those monsters even more dangerous for certain classes of character, that doesn't seem like a fundamental flaw to me.

Comment

• wobbly
                      Prophet
                      • May 2012

There's a UI issue mixed into this. For straight line targeting you just press the direction. For other situations you've got an inconvenient difference between what the player knows & what auto-target knows.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎