X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark
    Adept
    • Oct 2007

Recent changes I like

I thought it would only be fair to Nick to list somethings I've noticed in v4 that I quite like (its too easy to only raise the complaints)

Changes I like.
    • I'm less scared to try new/unID's items.
    • Nexus stat-swap affect change is good.
    • Drop rates/depths seem much improved, so I actually wear some items early on, these include
      - Feather Falling
      - Amulet of infravision
      - Weapon of Slay Orc
      - Lantern (Everburning)
      - Potions of stat swap
      - Wands of slow, stun, hold
      - Wands of polymorph
    • Being a warrior lately, I'd hardly spend much time casting Detect Traps/Doors and Identify, but I guess this is now true regardless, which is pleasant.

Changes I'm not sure about
    • With the new ID system, if an artifact is in the level and you consume a !Englightenment, does the artifact become apparent in the items list window? Nothing says (unidentified) next to it anymore, so that implies it would be...
    • I still rarely try mushrooms, because they are (or used to be) 2/3 negative. Has this changed with the new ID system?
    • I wasn't quite sure what Remove Curse did... ...could I have removed the negative aspects of the Crown of Berutheil ?
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

No. You can't remove -3 INT/WIS or aggravation from Beruthiel, just the curse runes. And you can't remove Teleportation from rings of teleportation, though I don't understand how that works.

Comment

• wobbly
      Prophet
      • May 2012

Originally posted by Pete Mack
      No. You can't remove -3 INT/WIS or aggravation from Beruthiel, just the curse runes. And you can't remove Teleportation from rings of teleportation, though I don't understand how that works.
      The teleport curse is power 100. You have to beat it with remove curse & *remove curse only goes up to 100 (50+d50). When you read ?remove curse or ?*remove curse it lists the curses with their power. Failing can cause an object to become fragile. Failing on a fragile item can destroy it.

Comment

• Sky
        Veteran
        • Oct 2016

slight derail here since we are talking about curses.

i dont like that you can *often* find curse items on low DL that have the stoneskin buff or whatever that other "makes you weak to X but strong to Y" curse is, because these can easily be sold for 1000gp or more.

I know you uberpros do not play with sell_on (like God intended) but those who do can exploit this. Just, the store should not buy cursed items, or at least should value curses differently than now. Because a rapier (+0,+0) *curse* should not sell for 1200gp.
        "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

That's fair; curses in themselves should probably have at best no effect on the sale value of an item.

Comment

• Sky
            Veteran
            • Oct 2016

Also note that you cannot uncurse the Crown Of Beruthiel, but you CAN uncurse similar randards.
            "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Grotug
              Veteran
              • Nov 2013

Randards sounds like a hybrid of randarts and another word.
              Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎