X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Colbey
    Apprentice
    • Feb 2008

rTime?

So I just lost a second character to a Time enemy (first occasion was a Hound; this one was a Vortex) in the area of DL48-60ish. I know, I know, I should be detecting monsters more often.

But the time breath attack seems overpowered. Unless I'm misunderstanding, it potentially reduces my experience and any of my 6 stats, right through any resists I have. (And also telling me that I'm not as "hale" as I used to be. No idea what that means.) Is my understanding of the time breath attack right? Is there any way to stop it at all, short of carrying around stacks of ,Restoring and !RLL?

Similarly, is there any way to resist the breath attacks of Inertia or Gravity hounds? If Gravity really means Nexus or something like that, it should be made more clear somewhere. And if not....well, damn, those guys are hard too.
  • awldune
    Adept
    • Dec 2007

No resists for any of those attacks. On the plus side, there are no nastier monsters deeper down that breathe time.

Just try to Teleport Other or Teleport Self whenever you see a time breather.

Comment

• Garrie
      Adept
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by awldune
      No resists for any of those attacks.
      Does a 100% saving throw count? ie level up and max your stats, by rights you should be able to save vs time...

gravity is pretty much a physical attack though (which is why the mage spell which uses gravity is pretty good)

Garrie.
      Best /favorite character

Comment

• Colbey
        Apprentice
        • Feb 2008

Huh. All my stats were maxxed (except for my DEX at something like 18/96). I don't remember what my equipment bonuses were at the time, but they were modest. And I was a Dwarf Paladin, which should have had me higher than 18/100 in everything important even without equipment bonuses. Which stat(s) determine(s) "saving throw", what does it affect, and how high does it have to be to be perfect?

Comment

• awldune
          Adept
          • Dec 2007

See http://angband.oook.cz/d/spo/stats.spo for some info on saving throw. It is dependent on your class, race, level, and WIS.

Comment

• zaimoni
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Garrie
            Does a 100% saving throw count?
            No.

There are a few variants that change this for races that don't normally age at all.
            Zaiband: end the "I shouldn't have survived that" experience. V3.0.6 fork on Hg.
            Zaiband 3.0.10 ETA Mar. 7 2011 (Yes, schedule slipped. Latest testing indicates not enough assert() calls to allow release.)
            Z.C++: pre-alpha C/C++ compiler system (usable preprocessor). Also on Hg. Z.C++ 0.0.10 ETA December 31 2011

Comment

• Garrie
              Adept
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by zaimoni
              No.

There are a few variants that change this for races that don't normally age at all.
              That makes sense... mind you I thought that a CL50 mage should be pretty much "ageless" regardless of race. A CL50 warrior **tough enough** to withstand the effects of time. A CL50 rogue wiley enough to avoid the blow...

I hope I got my idea across... CL50 and "fully protected" should leave you fairly safe!
              Best /favorite character

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍