X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wartom Pendragon
    Rookie
    • Jul 2008

Massacred at lvl 15 by strange demon

Hello! My first post here. I have been playing this game for some time, but never really got so far that I deemed myself worthy of posting in this forums. I do, however, require assistance in this strange matter of my latest characters untimely death.

It is a few weeks since his death, since at the time I did not have access to the internet so I could ask about what was up. I do however now, and therefore some details might be wrong.

Now.. to the problem.

I was playing a Half Troll Warrior and got to lvl 15-19 or so on character level, and got to dungeon lvl 15-20. I had the nicest gear I had ever had, with all magic armor (no artifacts of course) and with a flail of acid. I had forgot to buy a scroll of recall so to sell my stuff and to buy identify scrolls I had to walk all the way up. On my way up, and I am not sure wich of the dungeon levels I was at, I was attacked by a demon called something like "Homonoculus" or "Monoculus" or something. It paralyzed me and somehow managed to kill me in a single round! What the...

I just want to know what it was, and maybe get some tips on how I can avoid this the next time.
    You die. You die. You die. You die. You die. You die.
  • Narvius
    Knight
    • Dec 2007

Homunculus.
    I did meet it, although don't remember the encounter.

Okay, I just checked my monster memory. It is native to a 750' depth (= dlvl 15), so you just had luck no to meet it earlier.
    I don't have any data about their attacks, but you say they paralyze. That's why you should carry something allowing
    you to kill over great distances, regardless of class. A longbow (x3) (+9, +9) with some standard arrows usually do the
    job. Especially creatures you don't know should be assassinated from afar.
    And a minor spoiler: Avoid Umber Hulks at any costs.
    Last edited by Narvius; July 31, 2008, 11:29.
    If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• Wartom Pendragon
      Rookie
      • Jul 2008

That makes sense. Since I am a bit new to the game I usually play a warrior or a paladin. I always carry ranged weapons, but I never actually care to use them. Maybe its time I begin doing that.

I have only met Umber Hulks in ToME and I slaughtered them like weeds before my scythe. ToME is pretty easy compared to Angband though.....
      Last edited by Wartom Pendragon; July 31, 2008, 11:44.

Comment

• Mondkalb
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

It is recommended to get free action around ~1000 ft.
        Homunculus can only paralyze by hitting and is not that dangerous if you have some means of range attacks.

They don't seem to be very frequent, but it is always wise to watch out.

A little deeper (1350 ft) you may encounter monsters that also have paralyze spells.
        My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• awldune
          Adept
          • Dec 2007

In addition to your shooting weapon, you want at least a couple of scrolls of Phase Door in case any undesirables get next to you.

Comment

• shevek
            Rookie
            • May 2008

Until you have free action avoid any monsters that paralyze, they will pretty much be death. You can kill them from the distance of course, but just be thinking "if he melees me I'm dead."

The umber hulk is manageable if its alone but if there are other monsters around it can be pretty bad. Just bear in mind that its pretty tough to run away from them and they will almost always show up unexpectedly if you don't have detection. If you are a warrior a staff of teleport is pretty handy (you can activate a staff while confused).

Comment

• Jude
              Adept
              • Nov 2007

A staff of teleport is indispensable from the time you can afford one, onwards till you are immune to confusion and blindness in all forms. Saved my ass so many times.

Comment

• Wartom Pendragon
                Rookie
                • Jul 2008

Thanks for all the tips. This is going to be very helpful on my next run. I had no idea paralyzing monsters where so dangerous.

Comment

• shevek
                  Rookie
                  • May 2008

Yeah, the problem is that if they paralyze you they are going to keep paralyzing you.

Comment

• Narvius
                    Knight
                    • Dec 2007

If you want to try it, go next to a floating eye when you're clvl 20 without free action.
                    If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎