X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Khuzdul
    Scout
    • Dec 2014

Which ring is best

So I was scumming around dlvl 85ish with Nenya on one hand and a speed <+18> ring on the other when I came across Narya. I'm having a hard time choosing between the speed ring and Narya because the latter brings my hp above the 700 mark which I really need at this stage but the loss of so much speed is a bad blow.
    Any advice would be wonderful, thanks.
  • Grotug
    Veteran
    • Nov 2013

what are your speeds with the +18 and narya?
    Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Pete Mack
      Prophet
      • Apr 2007

Assuming you have speed from other sources, I'd go with two rings of Power. Native speed +20 is enough for most anything.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
        Veteran
        • Jan 2009

Depends on sustains, other sources of speed, etc. However, if in doubt, use one as a swap with the speed ring. You can then get the sustains, resistances, immunities, and speed needed for specific situations until you have enough speed from boots, cloaks, trickery, etc., to confidently two-fist the Elven rings.
        “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
        ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• luneya
          Swordsman
          • Aug 2015

I wish I had that character. Two rings of power and a +18 speed ring? Those are some insanely lucky finds.

But yeah, +18 is probably overkill if you have any other sources of permanent speed at all, so the elven rings are the better choices. But do keep that ring around to show off, because you probably won't find anything cooler to put in a house slot.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
            Prophet
            • Apr 2008

Got a char a while ago that found a +23 speed ring... and didn't use it
            PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Soteria
              Rookie
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by luneya
              I wish I had that character. Two rings of power and a +18 speed ring? Those are some insanely lucky finds.

But yeah, +18 is probably overkill if you have any other sources of permanent speed at all, so the elven rings are the better choices. But do keep that ring around to show off, because you probably won't find anything cooler to put in a house slot.
              Right now, I'm playing a mage (level 49, now) who just found Narya and Vilya in a vault at 4450'. Alas, now I have to choose between the 3 rings of power, a +6 con ring, and a +12 speed ring.

Kelek's Grimoire was in there, too, just in case I didn't already have it. I figure I've about used up my luck at this point, so I'm pretty much headed down to end it now.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎