• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unic
    Rookie
    • Jul 2008

Where has my picking up query gone?

Hi,

I just downloaded and installed 3.0.9, and when starting to play (importing my old savefile), it automatically picked up items from the ground, no longer querying me Y/N whether I wanted to do so...

I looked through the options, and the always query option seems to have disappeared - is there a way to get the game to behave the old way? I couldn't figure out how to set options so that it did so.

(To be specific, in 3.0.6, I had:

Prompt for floor item selection: Yes
    Prompt before picking things up: Yes
    Pick things up by default: Yes

... and I can't figure out how to set the options in the new 3.0.9 to get similar behaviour.)

(The shop interface will take some getting used to as well - but that's more a matter of having to change key presses ingrained from years of playing rather than not being able to find the functionality that I want...)

I hope this isn't a frequently asked question - I tried some searches on the forums, but got hundred of hits, none of them relevant... clearly not trying the right searches.
  • takkaria
    Veteran
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by unic
    Hi,

I just downloaded and installed 3.0.9, and when starting to play (importing my old savefile), it automatically picked up items from the ground, no longer querying me Y/N whether I wanted to do so...

I looked through the options, and the always query option seems to have disappeared - is there a way to get the game to behave the old way? I couldn't figure out how to set options so that it did so.

(To be specific, in 3.0.6, I had:

Prompt for floor item selection: Yes
    Prompt before picking things up: Yes
    Pick things up by default: Yes

... and I can't figure out how to set the options in the new 3.0.9 to get similar behaviour.)

(The shop interface will take some getting used to as well - but that's more a matter of having to change key presses ingrained from years of playing rather than not being able to find the functionality that I want...)

I hope this isn't a frequently asked question - I tried some searches on the forums, but got hundred of hits, none of them relevant... clearly not trying the right searches.
    In short, there is no way to make the game behave the old way. However, you can get similar behaviour by pickup_always to off, pickup_detail to on, and instead of hitting 'y' when on top of an item, hitting 'g'. I hope you will find this roughly as easy to use as the old system.
    takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• unic
      Rookie
      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by takkaria
      In short, there is no way to make the game behave the old way. However, you can get similar behaviour by pickup_always to off, pickup_detail to on, and instead of hitting 'y' when on top of an item, hitting 'g'. I hope you will find this roughly as easy to use as the old system.
      Doesn't 'g' take a turn? *checks the documentation* Ah, a tenth of a turn... that makes it not too bad to use.

Thanks - I'll try those settings out... just hard to get rid of old habits... doing too many keypress sequences without thinking about it.

Comment

• takkaria
        Veteran
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by unic
        Doesn't 'g' take a turn? *checks the documentation* Ah, a tenth of a turn... that makes it not too bad to use.

Thanks - I'll try those settings out... just hard to get rid of old habits... doing too many keypress sequences without thinking about it.
        The "too many keypress sequences without thinking about it" is pretty much what the new UI is designed to avoid, so if it's helping you pay more attention, I'd consider that a success.
        takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Djabanete
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

I'd just like to point out that I always used to set Autopickup to "no" _and_ Pickup Prompt to "yes"; my inability to do this in 3.0.9 is one of the two reasons I don't play it at all.

(The other reason being that I quit computer games cold turkey and now limit myself to lurking on various sites )

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎