X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chud
    Swordsman
    • Jun 2010

Counter-intuitive R/C combinations

In the interest of something new, I'm going to try some counter-intuitive race/class combinations, just for fun and to see if they really are notably more difficult. I think I'll start with a half-troll mage.

My guess is that they are going to be harder to keep alive early, will have mixed benefits in the mid game (regeneration is nice for mages too, for example), and once I get to the point where I can build up stats it will start to not matter anymore... but we'll see.
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

HT mage is a pretty popular combo, with a high fraction of winners posted.

Comment

• Chud
      Swordsman
      • Jun 2010

Didn't actually look at the ladder to see what other people have done; probably should have. There probably aren't really any truly new ideas...

What's the general consensus on the most difficult, but hopefully interesting, starting combo? Probably the only race I've never really played... human. But humans are boring....

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Humans are less boring than you'd think, and are probably one of the better "challenge races". The lack of any intrinsics makes the equipment puzzle harder, which is frankly a good thing for experienced players. They do level up quite quickly, which is a pleasant bonus.

Comment

• wobbly
          Prophet
          • May 2012

Not sure about hardest but the gnome warrior (hobbits have better stealth/archery in a little fighter) or a hobbit mage(terrible hps) are options.

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

Elf mage is on the list. So much negative CON.

Comment

• Sky
              Veteran
              • Oct 2016

you mean Kobold Mage.

HT Mage is pretty darn strong. That Regen really helps when you have not many SP.
              "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                Elf mage is on the list. So much negative CON.
                Elf anything is a challenge combo IMO. And also IMO that is something that should not be.

Low CON and small hit dice is a big penalty. In order to get decent HP at deep levels elves need bigger CON bonuses than any other race, and CON bonuses with item combo that is also otherwise good are not that easy to get.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2009

Just win with every race/class combo. Looking forward to the new classes to add to that repertoire.
                  “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                  ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• kandrc
                    Swordsman
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by wobbly
                    Not sure about hardest but the gnome warrior (hobbits have better stealth/archery in a little fighter) or a hobbit mage(terrible hps) are options.
                    The stealth bonus actually makes hobbit mage pretty easy. Yes, they're fragile, but that SOP for mages. Good stealth makes that fragility less important.

Comment

• emulord
                      Adept
                      • Oct 2009

I'm a fan of Half-Orc mage. Darkness resist is surprisingly useful as most blindness come from darkness damage at least before you get resistances.

Comment

• gglibertine
                        Adept
                        • Dec 2007

I used to favor half-orc rogues, for no reason I can articulate. I've moved on to kobold rogues now. I think kobolds should have innate tunneling -- after all, they live underground and they're doglike, right? Less than dwarves, obviously, but *some*.

Agreed that elves are just a bad bet no matter what class you pick. They die too easy.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎