• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CivBesch
    Apprentice
    • Oct 2017

damaged hard leather amour (-1) [16,-1]

My leather armour was damaged by acid.

Is it correct that I have benefit from this amor as long as it's damage does not reach [16,-16] at which point the protection becomes '0'?

Or is it better to drop it and continue without leather armour?
  • Sky
    Veteran
    • Oct 2016

correct.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
    "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• CivBesch
      Apprentice
      • Oct 2017

thanks for the answer, only a bit confusing (and I have no potion with me!)

do you mean that the first statement is correct, or do you mean the 2nd?

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Sky's second sentence is an error message given by the forums, which they pasted into their post in order to make it long enough to not produce that error message. You can safely ignore it.

Comment

• CivBesch
          Apprentice
          • Oct 2017

Again, my apologies for the confusion.

I meant to ask which of my 2 statement is correct:
          1. Is it correct that I have benefit from this amor as long as it's damage does not reach [16,-16] at which point the protection becomes '0'?

or

2. is it better to drop it and continue without leather armour?

Comment

• Oraticus
            Apprentice
            • Sep 2014

Correct in that you're still receiving benefit from that armor... specifically, it's giving you 16-1=15 points of AC.

Now, whether it's worth keeping or not is up to you. It's still providing AC, and it's providing a slot of protection from acid attacks as well. Acid is one reason you prefer to have protection in all slots. When you're hit by an acid attack, the game randomly chooses an equipment slot, and if there's a piece of equipment in that slot, the equipment will take a point of damage (unless it's immune to acid), and the amount of damage you take will be decreased. As long as that armor has some AC, it's better than nothing!

Comment

• CivBesch
              Apprentice
              • Oct 2017

thank you Oris for the very valuable information.

Am I correct that the (-1) refers to -1 AC?

Comment

• Sky
                Veteran
                • Oct 2016

what you need to know is that AC is only really useful at low levels. what i mean is that you will really feel the difference between having AC 1 and having AC 60, but there is almost no difference between AC 100 and AC 150. What you really want is the special effects that the various pieces of gear can have, such as bonus to stats, resistances, immunities, activations, etc.

So, a scale mail [25,+10] and a leather armor [8,+0] are practically identical.
                Instead, between a leather armor [8,+3] rPoison, and a Plate mail [40,+15] the leather armor is generally better.
                AC does have *some* effect on damage received but it's minimal. By the end of the game you will have an AC between 150 and 250, so 10 points are really irrelevant.
                "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• Mondkalb
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by CivBesch
                  thank you Oris for the very valuable information.

Am I correct that the (-1) refers to -1 AC?
                  The number in round brackets is a penalty to the hit value, because of your character being hindered by heavy armor. This number can go up a bit with heavier armor but is mostly neglectable.
                  My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• Oraticus
                    Apprentice
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Mondkalb
                    The number in round brackets is a penalty to the hit value, because of your character being hindered by heavy armor. This number can go up a bit with heavier armor but is mostly neglectable.
                    Like Mondkalb said, the (-1) in parentheses is a penalty to "To Hit". Armor modifiers are enclosed in square brackets "[]", so on your armor, it's base defensive value is "16", and it has a modifier of "-1" 'cause of armor degradation from acid.

Attack modifiers are enclosed in parentheses "()", and generally show up on weapons. Usually there's two numbers, the first denoting changes to your chance to hit, and the second denoting changes to your ability to damage. You can find attack modifiers on non-weapon items, though, and you'll be able to tell this because the numbers are in parentheses.

If you find numbers in curly brackets "{}", these denote modifications to stats or abilities, such as +2 strength or +5 infravision.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎