X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sky
    Veteran
    • Oct 2016

Pathfinding - monster home

I was thinking, if there is a revolution in how monsters get woken by fighting, easily leading to entire DLs chasing you, we should introduce the concept of Lair or Monster Home.

A mob will want to do two things, once you teleport away.
    1. Check the largest rooms in the level, and
    2. Return Home.

The biggest change is that, after losing you, a mob will want to return there where they spawned. Not all mobs need this, so maybe Ringwraiths and Orcs will keep following you, potentially bumping into and awakening other mobs, but a Dragon will get bored and go back to his lair.

This could be coupled with having drops mostly only in lairs, like a treasure horde.

Add the More Consumables mod, New Prices mod, Better TS mod, TOSave mod, Better Status Effects mod, Light & Darkness mod, and you got Angband2018.

Maybe add roaming mobs as well? Oh and Smell should be a value attached to tiles the player has stepped on.
    "i can take this dracolich"
  • luneya
    Swordsman
    • Aug 2015

Okay, sounds good. But experienced players don't teleport themselves once they have the capability to avoid it. They use teleport away instead. Under your proposal, what does the monster do when it is suddenly teleported away from its home? If the answer is "go home," how much gameplay difference does this make from the current answer of "chase the player, who is presently at the monster's home"?

Comment

• Sky
      Veteran
      • Oct 2016

in that case there would be no difference. this is just something to be considered if new stealth gets implemented - where monster noise can awaken other monsters - then large number of monsters chasing you will be much more commonplace.
      "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍