X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sky
    Veteran
    • Oct 2016

which stats affect archery?

so, early in my career as a randart ranger .. i found a x6 longbow, (+9, +22).
    im CL40 and a seeker arrow of flame hits for 1172 dmg. (huehue)

so .. wondering. what stats affect archery?
    i wana see if i can 1-shot morgoth.

edit: woha! i can enchant my own arrows AND artifacts?

i'm actually seeing that using or not a ring of DEX +5 barely affects the archery damage.

edit 2: ok, wow, the class is overpowered. i just lolled my way through a greater vault with the phoenix and he maiar of the sun.
    Last edited by Sky; December 8, 2016, 03:55.
    "i can take this dracolich"
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

Ranger starts off as a weak class and ends up laughably strong, with overpowered damage AND some ridiculous spells.

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Morgoth has 20000 hitpoints. The only variant I know of where he's in one-shot territory is ToME2, where alchemists can get arbitrary numbers of blows per round if they're willing to grind until the sun turns into a small lump of coal.

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

You can come close with thaumaturgy, and not nearly so much effort. First do the usual create walls. Then area blast gravity.
        Originally posted by Derakon
        Morgoth has 20000 hitpoints. The only variant I know of where he's in one-shot territory is ToME2, where alchemists can get arbitrary numbers of blows per round if they're willing to grind until the sun turns into a small lump of coal.

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Wouldn't gravity teleport him away? But otherwise, point taken. Thaumaturgy is also pretty ridiculous.

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

I forget which element does arbitrary slowing and significant damage. Whichever it is, it will kill just about any enemy before he gets a single move.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
              Veteran
              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Pete Mack
              I forget which element does arbitrary slowing and significant damage. Whichever it is, it will kill just about any enemy before he gets a single move.
              It's inertia... and yes, it is just that ridiculous. (Though IIRC it's pretty unlikely that you'll get a high-level Area-Inertia spell. I can't recall offhand if if the slowing effect is based on monster level vs. spell level in any way, so it still might work with low-level Area-Inertia... or at least you could cast a few times and then just use a high-level $whatever spell to finish him off while he stands there with ~1 turn per 100 of your turns.)

Comment

• Sky
                Veteran
                • Oct 2016

ok cool but, what stats affect archery ?

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Sky
                  ok cool but, what stats affect archery ?
                  I expect that DEX has a minor effect on your chance to hit (though your class and level will have a much bigger impact), but otherwise none of them.

Comment

• Sky
                    Veteran
                    • Oct 2016

in fact, rings of damage do not help. i'll try pumping speed.

Comment

• Monkey Face
                      Adept
                      • Feb 2009

Part of the reason your damage is so high is that you are getting 2 extra shots per round based on your character level. So the damage per round is 3x as high as for a single shot.

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Monkey Face
                        Part of the reason your damage is so high is that you are getting 2 extra shots per round based on your character level. So the damage per round is 3x as high as for a single shot.
                        The other part is he has an x6 launcher and is firing branded ammo, for an extra x2, total x8 damage per shot. Even if he was firing 0d0 arrows (+0,+0), the +22 on his launcher means that's 176 damage/shot, 528/round, which is very respectable. Use 1d4 arrows (+10,+10) and it shoots up to 276/shot, 828/round. If you're getting that kind of damage, you have zero grounds to stand on for complaining about inventory damage or anything else for that matter.

Now imagine this weapon back in the days when archery brands were exponential instead of merely multiplicative -- that is, an elemental brand would multiply your multiplier, making that x6 launcher into an x18! It's still not "one-short Morgoth" territory, but it was definitely gamebreaking.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Nit: believe you mean multiplicative rather than additive. It never got quite as insane as exponential.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎