"You found a special room" (new trap type)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grotug
    Veteran
    • Nov 2013

Originally posted by Sky
    not only that, but the amulet slot is practically useless until DL40, as you only get resist fire / frost / lightning / acid until then.
    Amulets of searching [+7] are nice, too. But yea, can't argue with weaponmastery early on with pFear, rDisenchant (great for those pesky dwarves) and FrAct, the sustains and the damage.

I think the phial should cure blindness upon activation. I keep getting blinded by Dark hounds, and this phial's description says "near it, darkness cannot endure" and yet, unless i quaff a !CLW, I will be in the dark for some time. Seems like a good alternative to giving it rDark which would be OP.

Found a staff of the magi on DL21 1-7 feeling. Not sure how restoring some mana and restoring one stat is valued so high?
    Last edited by Grotug; November 22, 2016, 11:46.
    Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
      Veteran
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Grotug
      Amulets of searching [+7] are nice, too.
      Why? I squelch them right away, finding them nearly as worthless as Adornment. Infravision (unless class has it naturally, and even then to increase the range) or Slow Digestion (especially for Half-trolls) are my early go-to amulets. Lightning or Acid if I don't have the resist, as a swap. Searching? Never. I'm very interested to find why you think it is so good.

Staff of Magi is arguably the best staff out there for casters. Essentially unlimited mana if you have a recharging spell (or stack of scrolls). A mage or priest with unlimited mana, now that's powerful!
      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Will
        Apprentice
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Sky
        not only that, but the amulet slot is practically useless until DL40, as you only get resist fire / frost / lightning / acid until then.
        Wisdom for priest/paladin, regen for others, both are very nice.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
          Veteran
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Will
          Wisdom for priest/paladin, regen for others, both are very nice.
          Yeah, but I don't consider those the "early" amulets. Those are great early finds for a priest/paladin (Wisdom) or any Non-Half-Troll (Regen).
          “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”

Comment

• Will
            Apprentice
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
            Yeah, but I don't consider those the "early" amulets. Those are great early finds for a priest/paladin (Wisdom) or any Non-Half-Troll (Regen).
            Resist Acid/Lightning, Infra and Searching start from lvl 10 while Wisdom starts from lvl 20 but it's a lot more common (alloc 50 vs 20) than the last 2. Regen is indeed a bit more uncommon and starts to drop deeper.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
              Veteran
              • Jan 2009

Please, someone, tell me why you find Searching so worthwhile. I have always found it to be nearly as worthless as Adornment.

Comment

• Grotug
                Veteran
                • Nov 2013

Ingwe: I play HT Warrior these days which has terrible searching ability. So even if I search a wall for a door I have a good chance of not finding it. Being able to find secret doors is useful to getting to other areas of a map. It also helps when I don't have trap detection to occasionally avoid traps I would otherwise trip over.
                Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

Ingwe: I play HT Warrior these days which has terrible searching ability. So even if I search a wall for a door I have a good chance of not finding it. Being able to find secret doors is useful to getting to other areas of a map. It also helps when I don't have trap detection to occasionally avoid traps I would otherwise trip over.
                  As a half-troll warrior, you can dig straight through suspected doors. Doors are easier to tunnel than walls, even if you don't know the door's there. If you think there's a secret door somewhere, just tunnel into the wall. If it doesn't give out after 100 turns then there probably isn't a door there.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2009

I've played a LOT of half troll warriors, they're my first go-to @ for playtesting the nightlies, followed by a priest and mage to test spells. I still never bother with amulets of searching. I'll blunder about until I get scrolls, then rods, of Door/Stair location. My HT warriors try to carry 3-5 rods of door/stair location, until they've turned up at least 3 rods of detection.

Comment

• Grotug
                      Veteran
                      • Nov 2013

I carry rods of treasure detection and trap detection, but I never carry door detection. I probably should, since I spend too much time on the early levels and need to dive faster until DL30s.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Better to carry staffs of mapping if you can afford them.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                          Better to carry staffs of mapping if you can afford them.
                          Well, yeah, but they're rarer even than Detection. By the time I've got a few Mapping, I've usually also got some Detection and carry both.

Comment

• Derakon
                            Prophet
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                            Well, yeah, but they're rarer even than Detection. By the time I've got a few Mapping, I've usually also got some Detection and carry both.
                            Staffs, not rods.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                              Veteran
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
                              Staffs, not rods.
                              Right, gotcha. Still, my HT warrior isn't going to ditch his door/stair rods simply because he's found a staff of mapping. I'll use the mapping judiciously as it is a wasting resource. Certainly not convinced that searching amulet is all that useful.

Comment

• Grotug
                                Veteran
                                • Nov 2013

Well, this is interesting; didn't find anything interesting in the special room, but found a ring of damage [+11] in a hallway (DL24).

Found the jewel evenstar in a starting room on DL32 after reading an unknown scroll and rising through the ceiling. Nearby is a vault. Level feeling 9-6. I think I found the best item in the starting room.... I was wearing an amulet of wisdom <+2> before finding the Evenstar, so that was a pretty big upgrade for a warrior. Also nice finding an elven cloak on DL31 when I wasn't even wearing any cloak.

EDIT: Okay, recalled and immediately upon returning to the dungeon: 5-9 level feeling. Killed a dark elf or something and dropped a !Augmention. It's going to be one of those levels. Hopefully I don't die....

EDIT: Ulfang the Black summons some friends. The berserker tramples over Ulfang the Black. ~~~ Ulfang the Black probably was carrying the "9" items (something of speed no doubt), but now he is trampled out of the level?

Say, @ identifies potions once he knows what they are; why can't he identify new caps of telepathy once he's ID'd them?

EDIT: I can fire arrows at the Lurker???? Can I also fire arrows at the Trapper?

EDIT: *FINALLY* after so many good feeling levels, I actually got something good! I had a 5-9 level then a 4-9 level and came away with some good items, but no 9ers. Well, this was a 2-7 level on DL39 and I'm pretty sure ToW is one of the better weapons in the entire game. tyvm RNG. No Es or other shenanigans ruining my fun.
                                Last edited by Grotug; November 26, 2016, 22:24.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎