X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grotug
    Veteran
    • Nov 2013

Item feeling 6: nothing found

So this is the third level in a row (1900', 1950', 2000') where nothing was found on a level with 6 item feeling. What gives? Pretty frustrating. I couldn't find anything that might give that level feeling on any of the last 3 levels. Any ideas?
    Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix
  • Carnivean
    Knight
    • Sep 2013

Chances are that you've squelched the good item/s or that the combination of items on the level added up to a 6.

I don't agree with Derakon's position that level feelings are worse than useless, but he points out that they can be seriously misleading in cases like this.

The best thing to do it move onwards and downwards, as there will always be something better to find.

Comment

• Grotug
      Veteran
      • Nov 2013

I don't think I've squelched anything. Though as a half-troll warrior there are plenty of things I should squelch (been seeing plenty of spell books, for example).
      Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• Carnivean
        Knight
        • Sep 2013

You can check the squelching by using K to toggle it on and off. I suggest that you really should be squelching a large number of things, especially the books.

If it's not the squelching, then it's probably a combination of items that you don't think of as being powerful, but that usually appear in deeper levels, adding up to equal LF6.

Comment

• Grotug
          Veteran
          • Nov 2013

There were like 4 [32] or higher ego armors on one of the level 6 feelings recently. Is that enough for a level 6 feeling? The current 4100' level I'm on had a potion of augmentation on it and a level 5 feeling. Last level had a level 2 feeling and a bloodspike on it.

Comment

• Grotug
            Veteran
            • Nov 2013

How do I squelch items? The help says you can squelch it when you destroy an item but I don't know how to destroy things.

Comment

• Estie
              Veteran
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Grotug
              There were like 4 [32] or higher ego armors on one of the level 6 feelings recently. Is that enough for a level 6 feeling? The current 4100' level I'm on had a potion of augmentation on it and a level 5 feeling. Last level had a level 2 feeling and a bloodspike on it.
              I believe an artifact on the floor guarantees at least a 5 feeling. You probably got Bloodspike from a drop, or maybe you play an older version were artifacts didnt cause 5 yet.

Anyway, while a high feeling guarantees something ood, it does by no means guarantee anything useful. Apart from dungeon books, deep base items can be the cause of high numbers.

Edit: to destroy/squelch, press k then the relevant letter. You get the option to squelch there. Also,the ~ menu has under a) the option to set squelching.

Comment

• Grotug
                Veteran
                • Nov 2013

Thank you Estie.

Just cleared a pit at 2,250' with 5-8 level feeling. I got a ring of speed [+6] an amulet of devotion and Hollhenneth. I wouldn't think ring low roll ring of speed would warrant 8 feeling.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

All RoSpeed have same feeling, and it and even devotion are still significantly OOD. Together with the helmet that's a very good level.

Comment

• Grotug
                    Veteran
                    • Nov 2013

I am now in a secret room with tons of stuff at 1,000' and 8 level feeling. Among the stuff, a wand of clone monster and a pseudo-dragon scale-mail [32, +10] rLight and rDark. When activated, makes a ball of light or dark that deal 200 damage at the center. I realize this is an OoD item and one of the best activation damage for an armor that I've picked up before, but given that awesome weapons make 5 or 6 level feeling at 500' this seems like a high level feeling for this armor. The only other notable item was a ring of acid (that, as far as I'm aware, is a level 1 or 2 rating). There were some "excellent" weapons as well, that were quite ordinary. I'm beginning to think Derakon might be right.

EDIT: I may have overlooked secret rooms in the other examples I gave earlier in this thread. The secret room I found using magic mapping and then I had to phasedoor to get into it. I would have never found it without magic mapping. I sunk through the floor after clearing the vault and started in a room full of firehounds. It took 4 tries before my armor activated but when it did "10 hounds die." tee hee.

Next run I'm gonna try the best spell/device user. Not sure what combo that is, though. I've always played high-elf paladin, but I am enjoying half-troll warrior my last several games, but looking forward to spell casting and ranged attacks next time.

EDIT: On the next level, found both artifacts: Radagast the Brown boots and Wormtongue boots {cursed}. Level feeling: 2. I'm thinking at 1,050' I should wear the wormtongue boots, eh?
                    Last edited by Grotug; October 24, 2016, 11:31.

Comment

• Carnivean
                      Knight
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Grotug
                      Next run I'm gonna try the best spell/device user. Not sure what combo that is, though.

Level feeling: 2.
                      Gnome mage, followed by HE mage.

Dropped items aren't part of the level feeling.

Comment

• Mondkalb
                        Knight
                        • Apr 2007

It is also possible, that something you didn't kill picked up a good item ...
                        My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• Werbaer
                          Adept
                          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Mondkalb
                          It is also possible, that something you didn't kill picked up a good item ...
                          And you didn't kill it because a stronger monster stepped onto that something ...

Comment

• Pete Mack
                            Prophet
                            • Apr 2007

Wormtongue boots are only worth using if it adds enough damage with extra blows to (mostly) offset the reduction in damage. For HT warrior, this is possible but not likely.

Comment

• Grotug
                              Veteran
                              • Nov 2013

(-1,-1) seems highly negligible against +3 speed, +2 dexterity.

Man, that is annoying. Maybe that is what happened? I did see items disappearing on the map before I even knew what they were after I had used detect treasures rod. I assumed they were disappearing because they were being picked up by awake monsters. I was sure to kill everything, but maybe the one that picked up the level 8 feeling got crushed by another? So sad I am playing version 4.0.5-dirty.

I thought maybe it was gnome-mage, fun stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎