X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rowan
    Adept
    • Sep 2014

Most Hated Enemies

There are some monsters that no matter how strong I am, I will still go out of my way to kill them with a vengeance. Do you have foes like that? What are they?

Mine are:

Colbrans- always so annoying to a priest who loves his Orb of Draining. These jerks are no threat once you get past a certain point, but I will always take the time to wipe one out when it pops up.

Panthers- it's silly, but my first devastating character-death came from fighting hydras, running away and getting cornered by a freakin' panther. Never again.

Cantoras- another sad story, first time I ever got one-hit killed.

Pit-Fiends- I'm one of those players who kills every enemy on every level... except Pit-Fiends. They're one of the only enemies I Teleport-Other every single time. Can't stand them!
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

I agree colbrans are bad news. Very much use it or lose it for wands of teleport other. Dreads are another. For priest, sabretooth is horrid.

Comment

• Bogatyr
      Knight
      • Feb 2014

V's, G's, W's and L's: especially V's: I load up on fire ammo and watch them "burn, baby, burn!". Q's and s's, I make a point to humiliate them with magic missiles or other puny attacks from the safety of a hockey stick LOS. v's & g's and Z's, I banish when I find Kelek's.

Comment

• MattB
        Veteran
        • Mar 2013

Merchants.
        Hate 'em.
        Swaggering around, all lit up, not a care in the world.
        Bastards.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
          Veteran
          • Jan 2009

Nightwings and Nightwalkers, because I never remember the difference until it's too late.
          “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
          ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Derakon
            Prophet
            • Dec 2009

Beholders of all kinds. Pretty powerful, awful to melee, and they don't even drop anything.

Comment

• bio_hazard
              Knight
              • Dec 2008

I hate the tougher fast j's. Rarely lethal, but just a pain in the ass to run into most of the time.

Comment

• Huqhox
                Adept
                • Apr 2016

Jabberwocks and bronze golems for me. Both are hard even for a high level character and the golem's summon makes them dangerous. But if I have cleared the level I will take my time to lure them somewhere I can wipe them out
                "This has not been a recording"

Comment

• AmyBSOD
                  Rookie
                  • Jul 2015

Everything that uses acid, disenchantment or water attacks. Bloody obnoxious item damage/destruction! At least there are items that prevent the first two from happening.
                  Author of Angband variant ToME-SX (based on ToME 2.3.5): https://github.com/AmyBSOD/ToME-SX - it's very sexy!

Comment

• krazyhades
                    Swordsman
                    • Jun 2013

For the last few years most of my Angbanding has been in PosChengband, and boy oh boy are there some infuriating things there

I definitely am on the same page with Amy re: disenchanters. Losing pval or high enchantment on an artifact feels terrible.

On the theme of "go out of your way to kill even later on" I'd have to say Phantom Warriors and (exact same glyph but much more dangerous) Phantom Beasts.

In terms of "aw hell no I'm not touching it with a 50' pole," even though there are more dangerous/serious threats, Unmakers are at the top of my list. They change glyph every turn, they breed explosively, they eat the level, destroy items, breathe chaos, are cold-blooded, drains all stats, disenchant, drain mana, drain charges, and resist almost everything!

Comment

• Nomad
                      Knight
                      • Sep 2010

Nexus Qs. Trivially easy to kill... if you can get them in line of sight long enough to do it. Nothing quite like finding a pit or vault with some tempting floor treasure and three or more Nexus Qs in a big open space that teleport you across the dungeon every time you get anywhere near it. Where you will meet all the nasty things you teleported out of the pit/vault earlier.

I have lost multiple characters due to carelessly spam-attacking anything in my path from the sheer frustration of trekking back to a place I've been bounced out of 30 or 40 times already. Death is a mercy!

Comment

• Estie
                        Veteran
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Nomad
                        Nexus Qs. Trivially easy to kill... if you can get them in line of sight long enough to do it. Nothing quite like finding a pit or vault with some tempting floor treasure and three or more Nexus Qs in a big open space that teleport you across the dungeon every time you get anywhere near it. Where you will meet all the nasty things you teleported out of the pit/vault earlier.

I have lost multiple characters due to carelessly spam-attacking anything in my path from the sheer frustration of trekking back to a place I've been bounced out of 30 or 40 times already. Death is a mercy!

Very much this. Once upon a time, I used to detect for Qs before tackling a vault, and then spent a charge of banishment to get rid of them first thing, if there were any. These days, I dont bother with detecting. I just banish Q.

Comment

• t4nk
                          Swordsman
                          • May 2016

Farmer Maggot, although grey mushroom patches are not far behind.

Comment

• krazyhades
                            Swordsman
                            • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Estie
                            These days, I dont bother with detecting. I just banish Q.
                            Ghahahah this has me cracking up

Comment

• wobbly
                              Prophet
                              • May 2012

If we're including poscheng monsters then arch-villes. Damn fast/always awake/fire-ball casters. You're just wandering down the corridor & bam, bam, 2 fireballs out of nowhere.

Originally posted by Estie
                              Very much this. Once upon a time, I used to detect for Qs before tackling a vault, and then spent a charge of banishment to get rid of them first thing, if there were any. These days, I dont bother with detecting. I just banish Q.
                              Just wait for someone to think it's a good idea to add in an anti-banish trap. Summons your "chosen" monsters in to the room with you.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎